Sunday, November 06, 2005

From John Bos: Another educator seeks to educate Judge Reece


"Please listen to what others are saying as you finalize your decision. Elephants and educators have great memories and your name will go into the grade book with appropriate comments. Teachers believe that it is important to do your homework BEFORE you turn in the papers!"

Honorable Guy Reece:

Dear Sir:

I have read about your recent decision regarding STRS employees and the bonus payments that they have requested in your court. Perhaps my personal experience would allow you to see the other side of the issue.

I retired in 1989 as an assistant superintendent. During my 31 year career I worked very hard and tried to provide an honest service to the school districts. I was PROMISED in writing an adequate medical insurance to provide for my wife. My wife has 2 mechanical heart valves, 3 bypass, and a pacemaker. She also has vascular disease that is treated at Cleveland Clinic. (a 350 mile trip)

I already know that in 2006 we will have insurance premiums and deductibles of over $7,000. This amount will increase if I am ill or if my wife has any hospital admissions. This is NOT what I was promised by STRS. My promise was in writing and confirmed by those who will not receive extra compensation.

Fortunately, I did save, live a conservative lifestyle, had a daughter that earned much of her college tuition, and I made several good investments. I will survive with no house payments and driving a used car. The STRS employees will also survive without the excessive bonus payments!

We have been blessed with many gifts. Affordable insurance coverage is not one of these gifts. We also have Yugo coverage while the STRS staff has the Cadillac coverage!

Please listen to what others are saying as you finalize your decision. Elephants and educators have great memories and your name will go into the grade book with appropriate comments. Teachers believe that it is important to do your homework BEFORE you turn in the papers!

Sincerely,

John Bos
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company