Monday, December 19, 2005

Letter to Editor, Patricia A. Kelley: Charter schools doom public education

Columbus Dispatch, December 19, 2005

I respond to the Dec. 1 Dispatch article "Charter-school operator cuts jobs as growth slows." What have I missed? Why am I paying higher taxes for public-school funding and then learning that every charter school is taking my taxes and teaching whatever it pleases?

White Hat Management admits that it is a profit-making business and then refuses to disclose its profits. To add insult to injury, we now learn that our public-school test scores are as high or higher than those of most charter schools.

Public education is the bedrock of our democracy, and I think we are losing it.

PATRICIA A. KELLEY

Columbus

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company