Saturday, February 25, 2006

From Paul Boyer to the authors of a newer blog: Some prevarications noted

Sent February 24, 2006

Dear Gary, Jim and Curt:

Upon receiving your mail yesterday about your STRSWatch blog, I immediately pulled it up and read all of it. Now, I do not think I know any of you personally and I am wondering if you are still active teachers or retirees. You are all evidently strong OEA supporters and believe OEA has done nothing wrong. Let me say that I am an OEA/NEA Life member and when I was an active teacher, I was probably one of the strongest supporters of OEA in my local and state. I thought they were really looking out for us but, boy, did I get my eyes opened three years ago.

You say you are concerned about STRS continuing to be able to take care of the retirees but you seem to evidence a lot of anger against those of us CORE members who have worked diligently over the past three years to save STRS. I am proud to say that I am one of the leaders of CORE and was name by Dr. Leone as one of five whom he considered to be "Core of CORE" at his inauguration speech last September.

Some of what was on your blog yesterday were out and out prevarications, especially the speech by Ruth Weeks. The Board did not willingly make all of the changes they have made in the past three years. Most of the changes have come at the insistence of the CORE members. For several months I was chair of a special CORE committee that met monthly with Dr. Asbury and some of his staff to discuss needed changes. This committee was formed at his invitation.

Another of your letter writers said that his local was the only one to send a rep to the board meetings. Now, I do not know if he was speaking of his OEA local or his retirement local. I will tell you that many of the local County Retired Teacher Associations have been regularly sending reps to the board meetings, some at their own expense and some reimbursed by their local.

Now, I for one, as others have written to you, welcome you if you really want to work to save STRS but please remember that to do that, you must work WITH us, not AGAINST us.

You may post this if you wish.

Paul L. Boyer
Retired since 1985
Life member OEA/OEA-R,
NEA, ORTA, CORE
Proud to be named
“Core” of CORE
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company