Sunday, February 12, 2006

Trial delayed six times for former member of STRS Board and OEA Executive Council; will there be a seventh?

From John Curry, February 12, 2006, re: Hazel Sidaway's trial:

This trial has already undergone six delays. These delays had to have been agreed upon by the Judge -- the court system in Ohio does work that way, believe me -- I've been there with cases of my own (no, I wasn't the defendant, I was the arresting officer or a witness for the State. I did this extra work to supplement my final average salary -- and I'm glad I did -- I only wish other teachers could have been that fortunate).
Now, for the positive side. Every delay that we may possibly see will place the trial (I believe there will be none -- it will be a last second plea bargain) one day closer to the STRS Board election!! Over 90% of the "scheduled" jury trials never make it to an actual trial -- plea bargains settle the matter. This also means one day less for actives and retirees to forget that Hazel Sidaway was a former STRS Board member AND a member of the OEA Executive Council. These facts will be fresher in their voting minds and aid them in electing a "reform" candidate to the STRS Board like Dennis Leone and John Lazares were elected during the past two years. Be patient.
P.S. If there IS a trial -- we (the public) will get to see STRS's "dirty laundry" placed right out in the open for all to see. Many of our STRS leaders will have to place their hand on the Bible and promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. We might even find out if the free tickets to the Broadway play Hair Spray from an STRS vendor were really worth the hassle! The wheels of justice grind slow(ly), but they grind fine. Be patient.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company