Monday, May 15, 2006

Letter from Sen. DeWine to Tom Curtis

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006
Subject: Correspondence from Senator Dewine
May 15, 2006
Dear Thomas:
Thank you for contacting me about cuts to education programs in the fiscal year 2007 budget. As a strong supporter of education funding, I appreciate knowing your views on this important issue.
As you may know, I supported Senator Kennedy's amendment to the fiscal year 2007 Budget Resolution that would support college access and job training by restoring program cuts slated for vocational education, TRIO, GEAR UP, Perkins loans, and other student programs. This amendment also aimed to increase investment in student-aid programs, including increasing the maximum Pell Grant to $4,500 and restoring cuts slated for job-training programs. Unfortunately this amendment was not agreed to in the Senate.
Another amendment that I supported would have raised the discretionary spending cap by $3 billion to allow for additional funding for Title I education grants, however this also was not agreed to in the Senate.
I voted in favor of an amendment that would allow for a $7 billion increase in funding for health, education and training, and other low-income programs. The Senate adopted this amendment by a vote of
73-27.
The Senate passed the fiscal year 2007 Budget Resolution on March 16, 2006, by a vote of 51-49. As amended, the resolution would allow approximately $882 billion in discretionary spending for the upcoming fiscal year. I voted against its adoption, in part, because of my concerns that the resolution did not provide enough funding for these important education programs.
As the fiscal year 2007 appropriations process moves forward, I certainly will keep your views in mind and work with my colleagues to make sure these programs are properly funded. Again, thank you for contacting me. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me anytime
Very respectfully yours,
MIKE DeWINE
United States Senator
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company