Saturday, June 17, 2006

Tom Curtis' speech to STRS Board June 15, 2006

Good afternoon board members, executive staff and guests. My name is Thomas Curtis. I am speaking today on my own behalf. I am an STRS disability retiree with 27 years of service.

Congratulations to Jeff Chapman on his election today as the next vice-chair.

I wish to again commend the board for the countless hours you devote each month to the enormous amount of business at hand.

I did not make copies of my presentation today, as I desire to review my presentation from last month.

Last month, I addressed the board with issues about the board make-up, finding time in your agenda for retiree issues and I requested a review by each Board member of Dennis Leone’s two position papers from 2003.

To date, I have received not one response. Damon, I thought the reason for providing copies of our presentations was so that board members could respond to our questions at a later date? What happened to that concept?

I sent an email to Chairman Brown on June 4th and asked, "Would you kindly advise me as to whether any consideration has been given to my recommendation during the public speaks portion of the board meeting in May that the board review both of Dr. Leone's 2003 papers? If not, would you kindly make a motion requesting such at the June board meeting? "

I received no response from Dr. Brown, but then he has never responded to any email I have sent him.

On June 8th, I sent the same email to vice chair, Conni Ramser. She responded three days later. This was her response.

Tom,

I'm not sure what your point is. Review the materials and point out the issues that are dealing with pension funding and health care. Dr. Leone is more than capable of raising issues that he feels need to be addressed at this time.

Conni

My point is that there are still unresolved issues within Dr. Leone’s papers and they need to be addressed. I am very annoyed that none of you Board members find it necessary to respond to retirees who come here and address you each month.

Jeff Chapman, you are one of the two retiree representatives, but I have had no response from you concerning my last month's request.

Our concerns need to be addressed and not ignored. Thank you for allowing me to speak today.

Tom Curtis

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company