Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Betty Bell's letter to Betty Montgomery

To: <contactus@auditor.state.oh.us>
Subject: Misspending of Funds at the STRS of Ohio
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 03:58:23 -0400

TO: Betty Montgomery
State Auditor of Ohio
FROM: Betty Bell
Retired Educator and STRS Beneficiary
Date: August 23, 2006


Please provide immediate guidance and counsel to Damon Asbury and the
Board of the STRS of Ohio. I am extremely frustrated by the continuous
misspending of my retirement fund dollars at the STRS of Ohio while my
benefits dwindle and my expenses skyrocket.

This month, two of the board appointees who were to provide oversight in
this area have resigned halfway through their terms. In the same month,
more questionable spending of STRS monies has occured.

Dennis Leone (STRS Board Member) explained fully the most recent
misspending in his letter to you dated August 20, 2006. STRS funds are
being used to pay for the personal attorneys of three STRS employees
subpoenaed to testify in the ethics trial of Hazel Sidaway (former STRS
Board Member).

Why must I pay more than once for this? My taxes help support the Attorney

General's office. My retirement fund pays for the legal staff at the STRS
of OHIO. Shouldn't the employees use legal counsel from one of these
sources? Why should my retirement fund be billed for their personal
attorneys? How can this expense be justifiable under ORC 3307.15? It
would seem to be in direct violation of it! How can this use of STRS funds
be in my best interests as a beneficiary?

I would rather see my retirement dollars pay for a forensic audit of the
STRS of Ohio from 2000-2005. However, we both know why that won't happen
even though such an action would help curb the culture of entitlement at
STRS that has made the Sidaway trial, other trials and this letter
necessary.

I am quite weary of paying for items, surveys and services that don't
benefit me in the least. Please help in any way you can.

In closing, I extend my sympathy in the recent death of your father. The
loss of a parent cannot be legislated away. The love, support and guidance
that they provide is unique in our life. Few individuals influence us so
completely. My prayers are with you and your family at this difficult
time.

Sincerely,
Betty L. Bell
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company