Friday, November 10, 2006

Nov. 10 responses to announcement of upcoming Leone/Strickland meeting

Dennis Leone to Tom Cooper, Friday, November 10, 2006 6:52 PM
Subject: Fw: Meeting
Hello -- thank you for your email. You are right.........health care definitely is a topic I need to share with Strickland. However, I also must help him understand that he must, must, must help preserve the solvency of our pension fund. Those of us who are retired are supposed to be "vested." This means that in the worst of times, the state is supposed to make good on our pension checks. I will do my best to help him understand the severity of our health care situation, BUT, number one, to protect our pension. Below is an email I just sent to another retiree.........
Dennis Leone
-----
Dennis Leone To: Linda Meinelt, November 10, 2006 6:45 PM
Subject: Re: Meeting
Hi Linda -- thank you for your kind comments. I remember meeting Strickland years ago myself, but I can't recall what the circumstances were. Anyway, Mr. Mohr and I will do our best to help him understand the plight and complexities of STRS and PERS. Hopefully, we will help him become sensitized to our situation. I also will politely try to help him understand the impact that 114,000 STRS retirees had on the recent election..........and why we need his help in the future.
Dennis Leone
-----
Linda Meinelt To: Dennis Leone, November 10, 2006 4:04 PM
Subject: Meeting
Dennis, How fortunate we are to have you on the STRS Board really representing the teachers. What good news that you will be meeting with Governor-to-be Strickland! Hopefully, there will be light at the end of the tunnel.
Gratefully,
Linda Meinelt
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company