Thursday, December 14, 2006

Lloyd Knudsen’s speech to the STRS Board, December 14, 2006

My name is Lloyd Knudsen. I was a 30-year teacher in the Woodridge Schools of Summit County. Last month my speech to this board exceeded three minutes and I couldn’t finish it. As a former teacher I understand the need for rules. What I didn’t understand was Dr. Asbury calling time when I’m sure Dr. Leone was designated as the official timekeeper. That could be the answer to a riddle. How many “doctors” does it take to run an STRS stopwatch? Apparently it takes two!

Anyway, after my Bee Hive speech last month a board member said in an e-mail, “As a benefit recipient you certainly are within your rights to poke fun at us. But I can assure you that every member of this board is here for the right reasons.” But you know what? I would be willing to bet that every board member who served during the years STRS spent outrageously on this building, its artwork, on generous staff perks and even on perks for the board members themselves, thought they too, were here for the right reasons.

But that’s history. Let’s talk about the present. We’ve recently seated some new members on this board. There is some evidence of a growing sense of cooperation among board members. So let’s go back to that concept that “every board member is here for the right reasons.” By “right reasons” I think we can all agree that should mean following ORC 3307.15. Board decisions should benefit the STRS benefit recipients and their beneficiaries.

It is my belief that benefit recipients have limited informational access to these important STRS monthly board meetings. How many teachers can make it here monthly to see and hear this board do its job? Active teachers are working and maybe 30 out of a potential 100,000 retirees are here. That is not access. Putting out a brief board summary on the STRS Website, or recording an audio CD for members to request, or putting out an occasional STRS newsletter summarizing WHAT HAS BEEN ALREADY DECIDED is not access. Benefit recipients need real time, unfiltered information on decisions regarding THEIR retirement system.

My proposal to this board is to ask for a board/staff study to research the feasibility of Webcasting all future monthly STRS meetings. I would further suggest because Webcasting would be of greater immediate interest to retirees than actives, that our two retired board member representatives: Jeff Chapman and Dennis Leone be on this committee.

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company