Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Throwing Stones at Rehires: A rehired retiree speaks out

From Sharon Faust-Dyke, December 27, 2006
Subject: Throwing Stones at Rehires
I just wanted to sound out a little on the subject of rehires and their impact on STRS. It seems that all of us rehires are not making a fortune or bleeding out the STRS health funds.
I taught for Cincinnati Public Schools until my two daughters were born, taking off a year for each one. I taught in a religious day school until the youngest was in the first grade, and then I returned to my urban district. During the years following, I developed diabetes, asthma, and a deteriorating spine disease, causing me to have surgery to fuse the bones in my spine. My doctor suggested that I retire and teach part time for the remainder of my career.
My husband, an Ohio State educator, took the "buyout from STRS" when it was offered because he believed--as we all did at that time--that he could opt into my health care as a spouse. We all know where that option went. I am now teaching three English classes out of the normal five class day. I started at the new hire step ten rather than at step 31 because I was a "new hire." I was not permitted to retire at 35 years because five of my years were purchased. We can not afford to retire because of fears concerning health care.
Since I am a .6 teacher, I get full benefits from Cincinnati Public Schools. I have never taken a cent of STRS health, dental or optical benefits, but I am put in that same category by folks looking to throw stones and me and others of my ilk.
I am well aware that there are a number of "administrators" who are "double dipping" and making lots and lots of money as well as draining STRS healthcare. I am not in that position; I am merely working to salt enough money away to pay for that most costly health care when my husband and I are in our "golden years." Yeah, right!
It really bothers me that some people out there see me as taking advantage of the system. Fortunately, I fully enjoy teaching, and I don't intend to stop until my health forces me to leave for good. I have taught for thirty eight years, and I do believe I am entitled to my earned pension.
Sincerely,
Sharon Faust-Dyke
A CORE member and
A point six-rehire
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company