Wednesday, February 07, 2007

June Hughes: Teaching in the inner city

"I know our legislators wouldn't stay longer than 3 minutes, if that long." June Hughes
From June Hughes, February 7, 2007
Subject: Inner city educating
Been there and done that. Inner city teaching is not the same as the suburbs or urban areas. There is no merit pay nor support like there is in smaller communities. I've taught in both and it is a learning experience when going to the city. I taught in an inner city school when there were sit ins, walk outs, fire setting, fights, stabbing, police security that walked us from room or even to the bathroom. Yet I found some wonderful gems who did know how to respect and care.
Parents? I have no idea who or where they were, some students did live in cars and I allowed them to leave the room to take showers in the gym. Alarm clocks? I got them one that didn't need electricity. One student had a operatic voice which could have taken her far and was recognized by U of Cinti with a full scholarship, she got pregnant. That was the end of her upward movement. Yet I was never afraid of them or felt threatened.
We didn't get hazard pay even though one of the principals was outside in his car smoking and with his 'girlfriend' while another hid in the attic whenever there was chaos. The brightest part of that experience was the one class of 'leaders' who were so very bright.
The one principal who was the greatest one I ever had in my 31 years of teaching came there. When he left the teachers gave him an engraved gold watch so he'd remember us to let him know we wouldn't forget him. He brought that school into a place of pride, dignity and respect out of chaos. I could go on and on with the stories and experiences during those 5 1/2 years there and I wouldn't give them up because I too learned. Not academia but life.
There are some on our STRS board who could not survive in that atmosphere because they would have been eaten alive with their power attitude. I know our legislators wouldn't stay longer than 3 minutes, if that long. Well that's enough. Maybe some of us should get together and write a book. I say this not out of prejudice or malice, but with an understanding I didn't have before those experiences, it wasn't the blackboard jungle but it was closer than most teachers get in Ohio.
June
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company