Sunday, March 04, 2007

Mr. T (for President) and Teaching as a Sport

From Duane Tron, March 3, 2007
Subject: Philosophy of Education?
Dear All,
I will gladly accept this challenge as well! I think we're onto something here! I think Congressman Jim Jordan ( a former student of mine ) should introduce legislation in Congress on this matter and I will support him 100%. You see the Graham wrestling team ( Jim and his brother, Jeff both won four state championships at Graham ) recruits quality wrestlers from all over the country and they have won nine state championships, their most recent this weekend. If I can pick my students I assure you that I'll look like the greatest educator to ever grace the doors of a public school classroom. The schools who don't recruit just don't seem to do as well. The kids want to come and wrestle at Graham ( Jeff Jordan is the coach ) because the program has become legendary with the kind of talent they can attract.
If a kid can't wrestle they don't accept them. If a kid can't read or write then we don't have to accept them. Right? If they don't have the academic ability to excel in the classroom we don't have to accept them and we can send them to a poor program where everyone fails! I think the good Congressman, and his colleagues, can see their way clear to agree to this formula for educating children in the classroom as well. Contrary to the conservative philosophy, "that everyone can pull him/herself up by their boot straps," those of us in the classroom know that not every child is created equally from an intellectual perspective. Unfortunately genetics does play a role in each person's ability to learn, excel, become great athletes, run, jump, remember, play music, etc. I never appreciated it when my father used to say "the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree." Now I understand! Some people can overcome handicaps, and liabilities, and many cannot. It just depends on who they have as parents, the quality of the community where they live, whether they have had the opportunity to learn to worship and trust in a higher power, and whether they have quality, and caring, people to teach them in their schools and at home.
We help children in our after-school program. Most do improve and WILL become successful. Why? Because they are in small groups of four and they have very caring teachers who work very hard with each of them. We don't have any "throw away" kids. Most will never become doctors, astronauts, or scientists but they may become successful, and responsible citizens, and "good" parents. We work very hard to bring them up to this point in their lives. They may never win a state championship in wrestling. On the other hand a few might! They may never play in the major leagues, or with a symphony, but we try and give them the opportunity just in case they have the hidden talents that have been obscured by dysfunctional homes and communities. Thomas Jefferson said that "All men are created equal!" Let me clarify what he meant! He meant that we are all created equal in the eyes of our Creator, God! God loves each of us equally regardless of our talents and abilities. Some children learn faster than others. Obviously some adults are slow learners as well! Just look at a lot of our elected officials in Columbus and Washington, DC. Want to talk about some "slow" learners?!
Read the following!
---
Subject: Philosophy of Education?
Teaching as a "Sport"
A state Senator (SC) says public school teachers should be paid on a scale equal to that of the Gamecocks or Tiger football coaches. The Sun News editor's agree only if teachers are required to do their jobs under the same conditions as the coaches and only if teachers expect to be fired if their students don't perform beyond a certain expectation.
I am a public school teacher in Horry County, and I accept the challenge. Pay me their salary. If my students don't perform as well as either the Gamecocks or Tigers this year, then fire me. Of course, I also reserve the right to have students try out for my class. If they don't measure up, then I have the right to refuse to teach them. I will only accept highly motivated, talented students. If any student fails to perform as I hoped he would, I have the right to cut him from the class.
I will also need a budget that will provide everything the students need to learn. I want full media coverage. I also want the school packed with cheering fans to make the students feel that what they are doing is worthwhile. I will have a full staff of assistant teachers, trainers and equipment managers to help me.
I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to my next paycheck! I had better close this letter now so that I can prepare for my weekly TV show.
Gerry Ferguson North Myrtle Beach, SC
Christina Plantz M.S. School Guidance Counselor (Grades 3-5) Oakdale Elementary
Duane Tron, Principal Springfield, Ohio
Please send this on to everyone you know, whether they are educators or not, and sign it below the last person. Thanks!
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company