Thursday, June 14, 2007

Paul Boyer's speech to STRS Board, June 14, 2007: Another nightmare with Caremark!

Good afternoon, STRS Staff and Board members, Retired teachers and other guests. I am Paul L. Boyer of Lima, Ohio speaking for myself and the retired teachers of Allen County. Normally my speeches are aimed at conditions which have been developed by actions of the Board. I will depart somewhat from that this afternoon.
I would like to point out to you, as you negotiate a new contract with some PBM to supply our medicines, some of the problems I have had with our current supplier, Caremark.
1. I pay all my bills from them by check because my checking account is in my computer and I can pull up a complete report at the end of the year for tax purposes. On at least two or more occasions, they have lost my check and I have had to stop payment and write new ones. Fortunately, because of my long relationship with my bank, they do not charge me for that. The normal charge is $30.00 or more.
2. It usually takes them at least a couple of weeks to process my check through their system and if I get an order in the meantime it shows that I owe money which is already paid by a check I have sent them.
3. My wife and I are both retired teachers and therefore members of the system. More than once they have credited one of our checks to the other person’s account and it usually takes a while to get that straightened out.
4. Now for the clincher. A few months ago I opened as new bottle of medicine and noticed that the pills were a different size and color from before. The next time I took some pills out of the bottle I saw that there were two distinctly different pills in size and color. I immediately called Caremark and was switched to a pharmacist. When I explained the problem, he said “Oh, that should not have happened” He went on to explain that these pills are ordered in very large quantities and placed in large containers, from which they are shot out by air or something into a member’s bottle. He said they always thoroughly clean out all of the pills in a container before putting new ones in, which may or may not come from a different supplier. He said that evidently that container had not been thoroughly cleaned. He did not suggest a replacement at all and I am still using that bottle today.
Now, I have told you of these problems because I think you should take them into consideration as you negotiate a new contract, which I am sure that many of us feel should not go to Caremark
Sincerely,
Paul L. Boyer
Retired since 1985
Life member OEA/OEA-R,
NEA, ORTA, CORE
Proud to be named
“Core” of CORE
by Dr. Dennis Leone

Labels: ,

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company