Thursday, March 27, 2008

Chuck Chapman’s speech to STRS Board, March 27, 2008

I am Chuck Chapman: Life member of OEA and ORTA, with thirty-two years of teaching service. I am Legislative Chair for Medina County RTA.
I am going to digress from my speech for a moment. As I listened to the reports this morning I began to put my self in that place to see how they would affect me. It seems as though should I die before my wife that I would leave her in an untenable position. The cost of health care would make it almost impossible for her to afford.
The Board-approved plan for making the Child Care Center cost neutral by the 2007-2008 fiscal year was approved at the March 17, 2005 meeting.
I am sorry that I have missed several Board meetings, due to illness. I am not aware of the situation with the Child Care Center. Please tell me that it is either cost neutral or is making a profit for the use of our facility.
Let us remember that all of the abuses and careless spending took place with an OEA-dominated Board. It was not until that balance was changed that corrections were made to put the STRS ship back on course. Let us remember, also, that some of those OEA representatives had to face a judge and receive punishment. We cannot afford to go down that road again.
Soon this spring there will be another STRS Board election for an “active educator” seat on the STRS Board. I would like to go on record requesting all active educators to consider voting for Dr. Dan Vincent to fill the active seat on the Ohio STRS Board. Dr. Vincent is not OEA-endorsed, but I can fairly say to you he will approach his seat with an open and inquisitive mind and won’t be afraid to ask “hardball” questions of the STRS administration without wondering if his question(s) will have been endorsed by the OEA.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company