Monday, April 28, 2008

RH Jones re: HB 315

From RH Jones, April 28, 2008
Subject: HB. 315, public school districts & supers
To all:
Growing up in Akron, when I was a child for fun we played the little game “Akron Beacon Journal Times Press”. And then we pressed our index finger on our friend’s noses. Having read the Beacon since Miss Mahoney, in my first grade class at Akron’s Lincoln Public Elementary School, taught me how to read; I have faithfully read my Beacon daily. I am now 76 years old.
The Beacon continues to inspire and to shape my view of American society even today, 04/28/08. I therefore quote a Beacon’s quote of Samuel Findley an Akron pioneer super superintendent1906 dedication of a new school. In part, he said: ‘Grand buildings and fine furnishings, carefully devised courses of study, choice textbooks and other appliances are all well and good enough, but of little consequence without the presence of the living teacher.’ …’A little child is a sacred thing – a life germ to be quickened and nourished’. at the
So my fellow Ohioans, in today’s 2008 difficult times for our sacred children and their public school teachers -- a time when a majority of families have been torn asunder -- it is the teacher who is now the most important factor in the majority of Ohio’s children’s education. It is, therefore, only common sense that HB. 315 provides a steady stream of health care funding for teachers in their retirement -- a great incentive to factoring in public schools: nourishing teachers of the best knowledge and character.
Note: Throwing away our precious tax dollars to for-profit charter schools certainly is not helping to properly fund retired teacher health care now or in the future.
This is my view,
RHJones, a STRS teacher member
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company