Friday, June 20, 2008

Lloyd Knudsen's speech to STRS Board, June 19, 2008 (synopsis)

Good afternoon. My name is Lloyd Knudsen. I was a 30-year teacher in the Woodridge Schools of Summit County. I apologize for not having a written copy of my speech. I did not plan on speaking today but after hearing STRS hired a new ED [Executive Director] I wanted to make a few brief comments about Dr. Damon Asbury and John Lazares. I was going to ask Damon to get out his stopwatch just for old times' sake but I guess we can do without that.
Dr. Asbury, thank you for your service to STRS and your leadership. As Mr. Leibensperger said in his speech, you succeeded Herb Dyer at a very difficult time at STRS. You were faced with many challenges. You had to work with a new and questioning STRS Board; you had to put up with a few intrusive legislators and you also had to deal with some often-critical retirees. But I think you've met all those challenges with class and professionalism. As one of those often-critical retirees (who served on the CORE Committee that met monthly with you) I applaud your efforts for being willing to communicate directly with us. You brought your staff to meetings to answer our questions. We didn't always agree with your answers, but we appreciated your doing it.
Finally, I hope the new ED will continue to communicate with us through this type of committee. I think it's very important and valuable. Thank you, Damon.
Also, I didn't know if I would be at the August STRS meeting so I wanted to say a few things about John Lazares. John, I appreciate the many roles you have played on this Board. You have been the peacemaker, often saying "why can't we all just get along?" You have provided comedic relief by joking, "that's the first unanimous 10-0 vote we've ever had." But most importantly, you have facilitated discussion on this Board. Prior to your and Dr. Leone's being on this Board, members would quietly agree on most STRS matters without so much as a question. I have personally witnessed a great deal of thoughtful discussion (sometimes often-heated discussion) on this Board over the last two years. Silence from Board members doesn't represent teachers. [Actual quote: "Silence doesn't represent anybody."] Active discussion does. John, you have forced this Board (with your second to various motions) to discuss issues and question its actions. Active and retired teachers thank you for that.
I challenge Mr. Myers (who will take your place) and in fact all Board members to take your place in facilitating discussion. Don't let issues die in silence again. I'm reminded of that phrase about not agreeing with your opinion but believing you have the right to your opinion. Vote your conscience. Even if the vote is 10-1. Let people know what you think.
Thank you.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company