Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Donna Thorp's speech to STRS, June 19, 2008

Good afternoon. My name is Donna Thorp. I was trained as a speech therapist --- or “speech correctionist” as it was called in 1953 at the University of Illinois, or “speech pathologist” at the University of Cincinnati in 1976. I retired in 1991 with just over 23 years of service.
First of all, I want to say THANK YOU to John Lazares for his loyal service to the Board. He has endured difficult knee surgeries accompanied by much pain. I am very happy to see that he seems much better. John, I wish you well, and I mean really well. Thank you especially for your participation in the reform of the STRS Board.
In 2003, I was horrified to read of the shame of having our executive director asked to leave by our legislators. He and the board did not follow the instructions of the Ohio Revised Code to use the money “…for the exclusive purpose of providing benefits to the participants….” Rather they chose to spend the money as they saw fit.
Some friends and I began attending STRS board meetings that summer, and we were present at the formation of CORE. We are proud to be part of this grassroots movement. But -- this has been going on for five years! My question is, Why in 2008 do we still feel the need to be watchdogs?
In 1979 I was asked to teach the first classroom in Clinton County for children with multihandicaps. There was controversy about putting these children into a public school building. Some people were not always easy to get along with. To keep above this I tried to always remember the question, “What is best for this child?” Might you also focus your thoughts on, “What is best for the members?” -- Not any outside group, or yourself, and not in response to your irritation at another member.
You are the adults here. Please do your homework, ask questions, follow ORC 3307.15 and do what is best for the members. Thank you.

Labels: , ,

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company