Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tom Curtis, Sen. Sherrod Brown re: GPO/WEP

Thank you, Tom Curtis, for writing concerning the Senate Bill S.206 - The Social Security Fairness Act. So...just who are these Senators who sit on the Senate Finance Committee? Well, here's the list. It might not hurt if they get "bounced" re. the WEP/GPO repeal.
John Curry


United States Senate Committee on Finance

The Committee is chaired by Democrat Max Baucus, of Montana, and the Ranking Minority Member is Republican Chuck Grassley of Iowa.


Tom Curtis to Sen. Sherrod Brown, August 26, 2008
Subject: Re: Reply from Senator Sherrod Brown
Dear Senator Brown,
What can be done on your and my part to bring this important piece of legislation to the floor? This must be resolved in fairness to those being penalized by the WEP/GPO.
As you are aware, the cost of health care for my wife and I today has taken a huge bite out of my STRS pension. Receiving my full benefit from SS would certainly help to offset these costs and is something I had planned on, only to find that I have been penalized.
I did my part, I worked and paid into SS as was asked and required of me. Now, because I also have worked and receive a pension from the STRS, I am being told that I do not qualify for my full SS benefit. That is cruel and unusual punishment.
Please make this one of your top priorities!
I realize that everyone asks you to consider their concern to be a top priority, but the WEP/GPO is anything but fair to those having to pay the price.
Thank you for responding,
Thomas Curtis
STRS Retiree
Sherrod Brown to Tom Curtis, August 25, 2008
Subject: Reply from Senator Sherrod Brown
Dear Mr. Curtis:
Thank you for contacting me regarding S.206, the Social Security Fairness Act.
The Social Security Fairness Act was introduced by Senator Feinstein on January 9, 2007 and was referred to the Committee on Finance. The Subcommittee on Social Security, Pensions, and Family Policy then held a hearing on November 6, 2007 regarding policies affecting pensions from work not covered by Social Security, including the Government Pension Offset and the Windfall Elimination Provision. The Finance Committee has not taken further action on the bill.
I share your concern for the unfair burden these provisions place on individuals who have earned their Social Security benefits and receive a government pension. Employees who work hard and follow the rules should not be penalized with lower benefits because of pension income they have also earned. As a cosponsor of S. 206, I will continue to push for prompt consideration of this legislation and will certainly support it should it come before the Senate floor.
Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company