Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Shirlee Zerkel to Mike Nehf: Still no answers

Shirlee Zerkel to Mike Nehf, October 8, 2008
Subject: No answer received
Dear Mr. Nehf:
I sent you an email almost two weeks ago about the Health Benefits Department. On Sept. 11, I had first contacted them about the procedure to purchase ostomy supplies and what would the upfront costs be to the retiree. After my email to you, I did receive a very brief email from a R. Hare at STRS on Monday, the 29th that stated Ms. Knoesel was on vacation that week and that the question would be answered by Mr. Nickel. It also stated that they were aware I had written to you. I have received no answer yet.
I know that the downturn in finances has every one busy and concerned, but the Health Benefits Department is not working on that issue and I do believe that retirees should be able to get their questions answered in a timely manner. It has been almost a month since I first asked Ms. Knoesel the question. Since these supplies are covered by Medicare B and STRS, there surely must be a plan of the procedure that a retiree must follow. Please assist me in obtaining this answer.
Thank you for your time,
Shirlee Zerkel

Shirlee Zerkel to Mike Nehf, September 25, 2008
Subject: Concerns that I would like to bring to your attention!
Dear Mr. Nehf:
I know that you have very important concerns on your mind especially with the situation on Wall Street and the losses that STRS has experienced. But I have some concerns about your Health Benefits Department.
I know that I have had several questions lately for them. I want to thank Ms. Knoesel for getting that no co-pay list out for the retirees and also for answering my questions on the shingles shot. After the no co-pay list came out, I had questions about why ostomy supplies were not on that same list. I did receive an answer for that question from Ms. Knoesel, but was not happy with the answer.
Then I called NationsHealth, our provider for many of the no co-pay supplies and also the ostomy supplies. I asked them about the process that a retiree would need to do for payment of ostomy supplies. I talked to three people there and the only information I received was that Medicare B paid 80% and then those representatives would tell me no more until I actually ordered them.
I emailed Ms. Knoesel on September 11 and gave her the same above information and asked her "how the remaining 20% of the cost is worked out? Does that go to our major med plan or what? Please give me the details of the pay procedure for a retiree. I feel that retirees should be able to find out this information without placing an order." I received no answer from her.
On Monday while I was out, my phone took a message from a Greg Nickell of the Health Benefits department. I then re-sent my email to Ms. Knoesel and asked her if Greg's call was about my question to her. She returned an email to me saying: "I had asked Greg to talk with you so we could get all your questions answered regarding ostomy supplies instead of trading emails back. Greg will be calling you again today."
Greg did call very late that afternoon to make an appointment to talk with me about ostomy supplies by phone on Tuesday at 1:30 P.M. Why couldn't he have talked with me at that time about my questions instead of making a phone appointment. Then on Tuesday my phone took messages from Greg at about 12:40 and 12:50 Tues. He asked me to return the call and also that he had a meeting at 2:00 P.M. I called the non toll-free number at 1:30 and was told by a young lady that Greg was not in. I was upset at this silly round of phone tag and told her that I did not sit by the phone all day before his pre-arranged time to call me.
At 1:35, Greg called me and asked me what my questions were. He should have received that information from Ms. Knoesel. We talked for a few minutes and he had no answers for me but promised to call me in a couple of days or email me with the answers. Well, that phone call was on the 16th. I am still waiting for an answer! This type of run-around by that department is nothing new. Their calls and emails were a waste of work time and money for STRS and still no answers for me.
Thank you for listening to my concerns,
Shirlee Zerkel
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company