Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Molly Janczyk and Mike Nehf re: Vacant Board seats and suggestions

Molly Janczyk to Mike Nehf, November 11, 2008
Subject: RE: Vacant Seats and suggestions
Prior to your seating, CORE Pres. and VP visited EVERY legislator with speaking points for HB 315. Membership devoted hours of time writing, calling legislators. I sent tens of emails on the subject to all my contacts including school boards and legislators both asking for legislation and providing membership with easy on line ways to connect with legislators on this topic. Then it was said that it would not even have hearings this year so things have slowed until we hear it is appropriate once again. Many attended the inservice meetings to be HC speaking persons -- I forget the name.
All organizations well know this.
From Mike Nehf, November 11, 2008
Subject: RE: Vacant Seats and suggestions
Dear Molly: I appreciate your interest in seeing that all board seats are filled. I share your concern, as do members of the Retirement Board. This continues to be among my list of goals within the Governmental Relations responsibilities here at STRS Ohio. I have had meetings with the Treasurer of State, Senate President and Office of the Governor to discuss their respective appointments. These meetings have been very productive. When any appointments are made, we will share this important news with the membership.
I have also been devoting a significant amount of my time studying how we can improve the life and financial stability of the retiree health care trust fund that helps all STRS Ohio retirees. I’m sure you know that is among my most important areas of focus. HB 315 in its current form would be helpful; however, I must look at alternatives if the bill doesn’t receive support. You and your fellow CORE members can help by continuing to emphasize the importance of this legislation to your local senators and representatives as you have done in the past. As we begin work on the Health Care Strategic Plan this December we will look at all viable options. I will keep an open mind to all suggestions that I receive.
From Molly Janczyk, November 11, 2008
Subject: Vacant Seats and suggestions
Why do you not answer anything?
1. Why are there vacant seats on the STRS Board? Not rhetoric but real answers.
2. Will you do something about this?
3. Do you see any REAL value in any of the suggestions I sent you and will you see if some beneficial change is possible for retirees?
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company