Sunday, March 22, 2009

Tom Curtis to Mike Nehf: Just how many part-timers ARE there at STRS?

From Tom Curtis, March 22, 2009
Subject: 032209 Curtis To Nehf, Re Part Time Employee Counts
Hello Mike,
You have indicated that the records I have requested, monthly part-time counts are not kept and thus you are not obligated to produce such. While that may be true, I find it very odd that you have so adamantly refused to supply such to one of your stakeholders. Are you attempting to hide something?
Further, I find it extremely unusual that any enterprise would not keep these kinds of records. This is simply not a reasonable thought and is not an acceptable excuse, in my opinion. No one could make a budget for staff without this type of information. Also, you would need this information for Social Security and unemployment benefits paid into those two systems.
One of my interests in obtaining this information is to find out if the numbers in the report that you sent me and were made to the board on February 19-20, 2009 shows the true number of employees. I feel it does not. That report made absolutely no mention of part-time employees, but did indicate it showed all full-time employees.
For the time being, would you kindly include the number of part-time employees for that same period of time you included in that report? I believe that included 10 years, did it not? Please do not tell me that part-time employees are represented in those numbers, because if they are, then your report is at least flawed in the way it was presented.
Please understand that I will continue to attempt to have my request for those part-time employees for the past 18 years fulfilled. If it takes legal action on my part, I may resort to such. It is my hope that it will not take that direction.
I will again mention, that all of the time it has taken you to object to providing these numbers is possibly more time then it would take to provide such. If you are not under obligation to fulfill my request, a stakeholder, just who are you under obligation to provide such numbers too?
Would you kindly respond to all of my questions?
Tom Curtis
OSTRS Stakeholder
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company