Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jim Stoll's speech to STRS -- and a challenge to OEA -- April 23, 2009

STRS Board -- Jim Stoll, Member of STRS who has paid into the system for 23 years now.

I'd like to share an analogy or example with you….. Sycamore Schools, where I'm the athletic director, has a Catholic high school within our district called Moeller. Several years ago, my football coaches came to me and said "Jim, Moeller's recruiting all of our good football players"; they complained and said I should turn them into the OHSAA for recruiting violations.

I asked our coaches one question: Name for me the best five eighth grade football players that we have at Sycamore Jr. High….. They couldn't -- coaches couldn't give me the names of our best five players…..they weren't doing their job. Moeller wasn't violating rules, they were OUTWORKING US.

My question/challenge to ANY board member, and to the Executive Director is the same which I had for my coaches….. Name me one "INDEPENDENT" professor (expert) that any one of you took the Bonus plan to and asked them for an evaluation??? Mike, did you go down the street and walk into the Business School at Ohio State to ask someone to evaluate it? Tim, did you go up to Bowling Green or Toledo and ask for an independent evaluation or critique of it????..... If any of you, INDEPENDENTLY, took it to someone outside the confines of these walls, please be SPECIFIC and give us the person you took it to…

I did; I consulted with a professor at the prestigious Farmer School of Business at Miami University…

He/We are all flabbergasted and amazed that you would, ON THE FLY, BY THE SEAT OF YOUR PANTS, make changes, revisions, motions, and votes and approve things in a plan that make no sense to experts in the field. MY ADVICE is ELIMINATE the PROGRAM, TAKE a year to get independent compensation experts from 13 universities throughout OHIO and build some consensus for the program. That is what a leader would do, and a prudent board, but this group seems to be neither, so I'd suspect you'll continue down the same ill-fated path.

I hope you realize that the field you're playing on has changed. Last week I sent an email to only 25,000 STRS members, one-fourth of our list. Based on the feedback you and I've received -- there is little or NO support for your continuation of this ridiculous Bonus plan or your defense of the Bonus plan. Superintendents and school boards are now getting on board.

As a successful coach, having won an OHIO STATE BASKETBALL TITLE in 1985, I understand a few things about MOTIVATION. There are two kinds of motivation. Intrinsic and extrinsic.

Intrinsic is the kind every teacher in OHIO is motivated by -- doing a good job, inspiring kids to achieve. It's the best kind of motivation; it encourages integrity and provides achievement that makes a person's heart and soul feel great about accomplishment! It lasts forever.

Extrinsic is the kind you are motivating through these bonuses. Extrinsic motivation is corrupt and greedy; it is fraught with problems and rarely lasts. Extrinsic motivation is giving material things for doing a person's JOB!

You want to MOTIVATE your investment associates -- fire a couple! Jack Welch, CEO who led GE to its greatest heights, states in his book, Jack -- Straight from the GUT, that to keep a business on the cutting edge at the top of its game and to attract the best and brightest talent that he would fire the bottom 5-10 percent of his management team every year! In your case, Human Resources would make a list of their 90 investment associates and rate them from 1-90. Whoever was listed 85-90 is non-renewed, let go, and you hire in five more of the best and brightest to compete and keep everyone motivated. School districts do it all the time by non-renewing the contracts of sub-par teachers. Want to intrinsically motivate your staff and not cost the members a penny…..adopt Jack Welch's strategy.

If the emails you've received haven't convinced you and the Executive Director that YOU are out of touch with your constituency, then you ought to rethink your roles and positions.

Lastly, as a basketball coach of an inner city school in the 1980s and at the college level, I've been spit on, had racial epithets thrown my way and other things occur to me, so in a political campaign, to receive criticism is somewhat amusing to me…..

I would like to say one thing to the OEA and those board members who were endorsed by that group. I'm the one running for a seat on the board -- my name is James A. Stoll.

Any criticisms should be directed at me, not a current sitting board member. For OEA to write a memo to their members and/or district leaders calling Dennis Leone a "Dissident STRS Board member" is APPALLING… I'd only heard the word "dissident" used referring to someone in China, Russia, North Korea or Cuba.

I've got news for Mr. Mahoney and Mr. Leibensperger at OEA -- if you want to take someone on, you better come after me because DR. LEONE is way out of your league! Dr. Leone has done more to protect the Active and Retired Teachers from abuses and mismanagement of STRS than everyone at OEA and STRS combined. He's not a part of this race, but I certainly thank them for putting me anywhere in his category -- based on my email response -- it has garnered me more votes than you know.

Thank you for your time.

Jim Stoll

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company