Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hey, Board, are you SURE you want to keep this one? You might want to reconsider before it gets out to the members.

From Dennis Leone, May 19, 2009
One thing I have seen circulating, somewhat inaccurately, pertains to the Severance Policy for laid off STRS employees that Herb/Damon developed and used without the board approving it as a policy. Eliminating the Severance Policy (because it was never board approved) was one of the 6 policy recommendations I made on the same day 2 years ago. Four were ultimately adopted (after much blood on the sidewalk) but this one was never approved.
My motion ultimately was rejected 7-3. The policy adopted by the board, with me objecting strenuously, formally gives the executive director the ability to give out cash and free health insurance to people laid off in the future. I lost on this one. Still bothers me that very few board members really cared that Damon did this before he left.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company