Thursday, June 18, 2009

Jim N. Reed's tribute to Dennis Leone

June 18, 2009

Recalling my first conversation with Dennis I remember putting the phone down and thinking that he had convinced me that I was not the Lone Ranger after all. Dennis quickly assured me that my negative relationship with Herb Dyer and STRS upon retirement in 1998 was not unusual. There were others who were suspicious and disgusted with the behavior of our retirement system.

As I have told Dennis several times I have coached for 45 years and consider him to be one of the most inspirational I have known. Leadership is innate and Dr. Leone has an abundance. It took only one brief conversation for me to recognize the man was a discerning leader in whom I could place my trust.

I will always be grateful to Dennis for providing me a CORE of energy with which to express my experiences as a STRS stakeholder. He confirmed my mistrust and disgust as legitimate, gave them validity and made me believe I, along with other voices, could offer those voices to make a difference.

Dennis helped many of us find our Red Badge of Courage. Like Henry Fleming, many of us were searching for a genuine cause in times of adversity. Many of us were uncertain as to how to proceed. We were troubled and the arrogance of the opponent seemed untouchable, at times intimidating. We needed an example, a model of courage and self sacrifice.

Day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year I witnessed Dennis' relentless perseverance to research, report and expose the misdoings of STRS policy-makers and administrators.

Dennis makes me proud to wear the label of "malcontent." "Dissident" has even become a kind of positive recognition!

I will forever be grateful to you, Dennis, for providing me a platform to express my views and putting me in contact with colleagues whom I consider some of the most intelligent people I have met in this profession.

Dennis, I believe educators, both current and retired, will always associate your name and tenure with much needed reform at STRS. I have often used the word Renaissance to associate your impact on our retirement system. You've been a Robin Hood, a folk hero, to many of us. Though the system still is in desperate need of continued repair and reform, without your intervention STRS may not have survived the Dark Ages of the past decade.

You have given us hope that our once proud STRS can be salvaged and for that we owe you our endless gratitude. Your legacy is assured by the countless numbers of grateful educators and their families whom you have selflessly represented on the STRS Board.

May your future endeavors bring much happiness and health for you and your family.

Jim N. Reed
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company