Sunday, July 11, 2010

Well....it's been over one year and I still have not received a reply!

From John Curry (to Ann Hanning), July 11, 2010Nor have I seen or heard an ORTA official stand up and speak out re. keeping our 3% COLA in tact since this letter was written to Ann on 7/9/09....have you?
John
From: John Curry
To: ahanning@orta.org
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 12:44 PM
Subject: Ann...it's time to step up to the plate
Ann,
In perusing the ORTA website (http://www.orta.org/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/25goodreasons60th.pdf) I came across this page which lists "25 good reasons why you should join your local Retired Teachers Association and the Ohio Retired Teachers Association (ORTA)."
Reason #7 on that list is, and I quote, "7. Promotes cost-of-living increases."
Well, Ann, the time is now overdue for ORTA to step up to the plate and publicly fight to keep our COLA. ORTA has not been vocal at STRS Board meetings re. this topic or other reform topics. When was the last time an ORTA official speaking as an ORTA official stepped up to the podium in the 3 minute speaks portion of the board meeting to do such? I can't remember that happening in the past 6 years or so that I have been either attending STRS board meetings or listening to the CD's of STRS board meetings. Where has ORTA been? On that same webpage ORTA touts itself as, and I quote, "ORTA, the voice of Ohio's retired teachers." Boy, you surely could have fooled me!
Almost a decade ago I joined the Allen County Retired Teachers Association and, at that time, I had a choice (thank God) to join or not to join ORTA. At that time I told Allen County member George Doyle, "No, I do not wish to join ORTA as I am not impressed with them." Well, Ann, I still am not impressed with ORTA and neither are thousands of other retired educators who have been let down by ORTA's lack of representation.
When will your organization really begin to fight for retirees? Too many of your members who have no access to the internet have in no way been able to see what they have been missing that has transpired at STRS and your organization has done nothing to keep them abreast of what really has happened at STRS. Those "uninformed" have been happily enjoying meatloaf and green beans at monthly meetings which should have contained enlightenment by ORTA as to what was going on at STRS. Then again, if they had been informed....they probably would have lost their lunches! Thanks for keeping them in the dark.
John Curry
a retired STRS stakeholder
a Proud member of CORE
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company