Monday, March 28, 2011

Don Gatchell: Some questions for Ann Hanning

From Don Gatchell, March 28, 2011
Subject: HB#69
Ann Hanning
Executive Director, ORTA
Dear Ann:
Sorry I missed the last STRS meeting. I was preparing for my Spring job teaching courses at the local O.U. campus 2 days/week in case Gov. Kasich & friends scuttle our pension fund and put us into 401-K's or worse I will have some 'pin money'. After 42 years of teaching, I hope some day to be able to retire without worry!
Ann et al, I am worried that many interested active teachers, STRS retirees, CORE, ORTA, STRS, OEA, etc. have differing stands on HB#69. I really think Gov. Kasich loves that so he can push his agenda re: the 401-K and the "Kasich STRS Kontrol Plan" of eliminating our COLA, making active teacher contribute 2% more & boards of ed... 2% less which would bankrupt the STRS pension fund and eventually us. I feel strongly that all interested groups need to agree on a strategy to save our STRS pensions by putting our individual "wish lists" aside and focusing on support for the immediate passage of HB #69 even though it has flaws. I wish I knew more about not only the stands of the other education-related groups but also the stands pro or con of the other 4 Ohio public pension funds because I feel they need to suppor the bill as well.
Rep. Lynn Wachtmann is the sponsor of HB#69, is a member of the House sub-committee receiving testimony about the bill and is a member of the ORSC as we all are aware. Lynn has been in state government a long time by being elected to the House, then to the Senate, then to the House again. Because of his tenure in the General Assembly and respect from colleagues, he has great credibility with both the General Assembly and the Administration. I fear that if he and the sub-committee do not hear support for the bill with proponent testimony from all the interested parties I listed above, he may become upset enough to say "let's amend the bill to the Kasich Plan if you do not like what I created for you." When I write to Rep. Wachtmann, I refer to him as the savior of the STRS pension fund. (Okay, I do "pander" a wee bit.")
What is your opinion about my contention? Is there an effort to create "one voice" to support HB#69 instead of the plethora of differing opinions? What can local RTA members do to help the cause for passage of HB#69 besides checking the STRS Web Page for addresses of sub-committee members to write to? May any of us view the testimony in Columbus or do we need special permission?
Thanks for all you do to support retired educators,
Don Gatchell
Past President & Legislative Chair
Ross County Retired Teachers Association
Chillicothe
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company