Saturday, May 14, 2011

Jim Reed on OEA's $54 assessment and on a poignant sign on a one-room school

Jim N. Reed to Kathie Bracy, May 12, 2011
My nerve endings are quite raw these days. I can not imagine what our law-makers are thinking from sacking and or privatizing Medicare and Social Security, to allowing guns in saloons (maybe Wyatt, Billy, and Jesse will make a comeback!), to upping public funds to charter schools while lowering accountability, to sending millions of soon-to-be recipients of healthcare back to the emergency rooms, to stripping totally dependent pre-schoolers and seniors of their rights to a poverty-preventing education and to some hard-earned, dignified golden years!
I'm sure my take on the $54.00 assessment to OEA actives is dissimilar to many. Look inward, OEA. How many of your knowledgeable actives are going to dissent at the one-time dues to support opposition to SB5 based on the obscene salaries paid to OEA Staff? Realizing this is not a good time to de-bark the voices of our very powerful union (as we in CORE have often been targeting) and its lobbyists, wouldn't it be wonderful to learn that many of the $100,000 plus execs have kicked in a few extra thousands to the effort to raise $5 million.
I know if I were still active someone at OEA would have to explain the $54.00 real hard to me.
Someone (not me, I promise) has planted a hand-made pro public education sign on one of my area's dilapidated one-room schools. I'll take a photo and send it to you.
Jim N. Reed
Click images (twice) to enlarge.....and draw your own conclusions!



...........................................................................
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company