Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Dan MacDonald: A letter to the STRS Board

June 20, 2018
Sent for June 21st meeting
Dear STRS OH Board Members,
I am Dan MacDonald, an STRS retiree. I retired from Cleveland Heights – University Heights City Schools after 38 years which included 2 years as an Army officer. I will not be able to attend the June 21, 2018 Board meeting, but want to share my Public Participation if I was there. [If someone would read during PP, I’d be proud, but that doesn’t seem to be the process either] I need to first share that on June 22, 2018 I will be celebrating my 50th wedding anniversary with my lovely spouse, Donna, in New York City. On the 21st we will be driving to Yonkers, NY and take the train to NYC in the morning. I really wish I could be in two places at one time.
The STRS budget will probably be the main agenda item on the June table. There is an awakening mass of actives and retirees looking at STRS OH inactions and actions. A new Facebook group, “Ohio STRS Member Only Forum,” already has over 1,900 members in just over 3 weeks. A petition is being circulated and signed under www.restoreourcola.com . I suggest you read it. I am hoping as many actives as retirees will be attending the June meeting. I’ve encouraged actives in northeast Ohio to show up. I have no idea the numbers. I do know that Cincinnati will be represented by CInci retirees. Just as your May vote made a concession to the $29.90 Part B subsidy, so the STRS Budget should reflect that you are hearing your bosses, the actives and retirees. The budget should not be reflecting merit based pay raises. Sacrifices by all should be the tone or maybe for only those eligible for the Performance-Based Incentive Program or maybe just only for the department leadership of STRS OH, Executive Director on down. Make a statement of “listening/hearing” to the actives/retirees.
As to that concession over the subsidy, I am frosting from the thought that nothing would have been brought to the May Board floor if Scott DiMauro had not sent a letter from the Healthcare Pension Advocates. Has another layer of bureaucracy been added to the Board’s thought process? Does now an idea/suggestion have to be pre-approved by HPC to be brought to the Board agenda?
Actives/retirees do not think their organizations are speaking for them. Dr. Rayfield’s suggestion for a pathway/roadway best be seriously considered and become an agenda item soon if not now. You’re not going to be able to control the “talk” much longer. The internet is taking on a life of its own and thoughts and opinions are being shared outside STRS OH Communication center.
In Union, 
Dan MacDonald
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company