Thursday, August 17, 2023

Suzanne Laird to STRS Board 8/17/23: If someone tries to convince you these cost cutting measures are too sudden, please remind them that they ripped the COLA right out from under us, without any warning.

From Suzanne Laird

August 17, 2023

Good Morning, Members of MY Board: 

Today, I’d like to direct my remarks to our newest appointees:

Look, I know the last thing you wanted was to be assigned to another committee or Board, but I’d like to think that you might feel this is one of your most important assignments. The future of education in Ohio really is in your hands!

As I asked in May, why would anybody choose to be a teacher in Ohio when they see their STRS Board voting for excessive raises and bonuses? You have the opportunity today to stop the nonsense, and I believe your own bosses would agree. DeWine claimed he was “for teachers” and Auditor Faber stated that the “bonus system needs to be re-examined.” (You left that out of your podcast, sir.) Wouldn’t the Ohio House, Senate, Treasurer and Superintendent of Education be impressed if you took your red pens and slashed the hell out of this bloated budget?

Need a red pen? We “retired” still have ‘em in the bottom of our purses. 

I’m serious. We haven’t a moment to lose. The new school year has just begun, and there are too many unfilled positions. No one wants to relinquish 14% of their salary to this outsized staff. One hundred investment “bros”? Cut them by half.

Retrain the childcare workers and fitness folks to handle appointments, since teachers seeking an appointment right now have a three month wait. I’ve asked for an appointment every month since February with a certain Fred Williams, who is unavailable or leaves here before I do every Board meeting day.

Your own security staff thinks it’s crazy that you pay three of them every night when you’ve got crash-proof gates!

If I can name these cuts off the top of my head, I’m sure you, who have more experience, can uncover more. Do the job you’re being asked to do.

If you need more suggestions, I’m available, Mr. Minister of Propaganda…… 

This brings me to our out-going Board member. Examine your conscience and remember those who put you here. You could redeem yourself today with a “no” vote.

If someone tries to convince you these cost cutting measures are too sudden, please remind them that they ripped the COLA right out from under us, without any warning.

Do your fiduciary job.

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company