Thursday, October 19, 2023

Robin Beebe gives the STRS Board a refresher course on Karma

From Robin Beebe

October 19, 2023

Address to the STRS Board October 19, 2023

My name is Robin Beebe. I am a retired teacher, having taught 35 years for the Fremont and Perrysburg Schools. I taught 4th graders, Kindergarten, a smattering of other elementary grades and eight summers of Migrant Education. I retired in 2009 and coming up in 2024, that will be 15 years.

Every time I attend another monthly STRS Board meeting, it seems like new staff positions, with creative titles to go along with them, are created. Really? For what reason? Really? For what salary? Really? Who exactly are filling these positions? Really? And all this is using teachers’ pension monies. Really? I ask you where is our COLA? Really?

It is painful to calculate the money I have missed out on because of your COLA shenanigans. It is tens upon tens upon tens of thousands of dollars. And if things don’t change, down the road it will be in the six figure deficit range! 

Wait….WHAT?….How can that be? Get out your calculator and have all your mathematical, professional staff (accountants, investment pros, attorneys) do an honest calculation, and then give a public presentation of the facts/findings at an STRS Board meeting. 

I dare you!

Social Security gave an 8.8% COLA last year, and a 3.2% is slated for 2024. 

I ask you where is my COLA? I am 72 years old. How long must I wait? I grew up in the 50s in a middle class family with the values of hard work, frugality, live within your means, fairness, honesty, trust, politeness, courtesy, help your neighbors. Good old Boy Scout rules were adhered to. A few of these jump out in particular. A scout is trustworthy. A scout should tell the truth and keep promises. People can depend on you. A scout is courteous. Be polite to everyone and always use good manners. A scout is kind. Treat others as you want to be treated. Perhaps many on the STRS Board could take heed?

Middle class for me is currently slipping away. It is slipping away for my fellow teachers – retired and active. Why? It is due in part to the large scale grifting that is currently going on at STRS under the guise and babble of smoke and mirror spin expounded ad nauseam at Board meetings, in mailed brochures, shameful videos and the highly controlled and orchestrated Town Hall meetings, which are a sham.

One thing I have come to believe in as I have lived my three score and twelve years is KARMA! The thing about KARMA is she has her own timetable. But…she also has an astoundingly long memory. KARMA always gets things right. So…..we teachers can’t wait.

I will now close with my refrain, my mantra. So many of you on this Board have lost your moral compass. Have you found it yet? How do you sleep at night? Once again, I implore you to do the right thing.

Remember: KARMA is watching….

Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company