Friday, March 22, 2024

Suzanne Laird's "Cookie Speech" to the STRS Board

Suzanne Laird's speech to STRS Board

March 21, 2024
Good Morning, Members of My Board: 
How much do you suppose a cookie is worth?In February of 2023, just days after the Board meeting, I received a package at my home containing a smashed cookie and a letter, accusing me of attempting to “influence business” with STRS. The letter was signed by a Mr. Fred Williams, and you may recall I mentioned last month that I had been attempting to contact Mr. Williams regarding this letter for an entire year.Turns out, the letter was written by one of your legal staff and was signed, under duress, by Mr. Williams. Turns out, Mr. Williams is simply a nice guy , manipulated by grossly over-paid lawyers to try to intimidate me. 
I did a terrible thing, you see. I am guilty of handing out cookies to the folks in this building who prepare your free lunches, clean your restrooms, guard your fancy offices.I assume they are fancy; I’ve not actually seen them, since movement around OUR building is so restricted. Every school building in which I have ever taught contained confidential information, yet we were able to keep that information safe and secure while allowing students, parents and guests to freely explore our schools. 
Apparently, there is a rule about accepting a free cookie, but no rule about accepting hundred thousand dollar raises or three hundred thousand dollar bonuses…… 
Doesn’t the legal department have anything better to do with their time and my money than to harass retirees?
Attempting to pit us against the regular employees — by that I mean those who earn what an average Ohio teacher earns — will not deter us. We do not begrudge them, and from what I’ve observed, some employees here agree with us. They see the waste, they see the hypocrisy, and I bet they’ve seen some temper tantrums. 
Forget quibbling over a cookie.
I want to know when you’re going to freeze the salaries.
I want to know when you’re going to suspend the bonuses.
When you’re going to reduce the actives’ years of service.
And when you’re going to restore the COLA.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company