Friday, April 19, 2024

Suzanne Laird to STRS Board: Emulate compassion; emulate Wade

Suzanne Laird's speech to STRS Board

April 18, 2024

Good Morning, Members of My Board:

As a public school teacher in the state of Ohio, I had little time to contemplate the machinations of my retirement system.
And why should I? STRS and OEA told me that everything was fine, just fine……
As an active, I only attended one Board meeting. It was in June, the only month I could have, since these meetings are not held at the convenience of the members. I sat in the back, behind the glass wall, intimidated, as I’m sure was intended.
But as a retiree, forced to substitute in order to afford my pre-Medicare monthly health premium without a COLA, I began to schedule my sub days around Board meetings. And I quickly ascertained that nothing was “fine.”
When I sign in to speak here each month, I state that I represent myself and thousands of others like me. Today, I specifically want you to consider those who retired 15, 20, 30 or more years ago: those who earned very little teaching Ohio’s students, and simply cannot continue to work.
Every month, I make certain to mention the issues particular to those in the field, and now, I am addressing the active teacher reps: of course you are being pressured by your fellow teachers to reduce the number of years and contribution rate, and last month we saw some progress on those issues. Current teachers necessarily are consumed by their workloads and may lack the foresight to realize the ramifications of discontinuing the COLA. I caution all representatives against normalizing a zero COLA once again. Those losses can never be recouped and the repercussions are long term. Ask any retiree.
We are aware that several appointees are beholden to certain demagogues at the statehouse and you may not be capable of grasping the gravity of the retirees’ plight, but we would encourage you to emulate an appointee who recently sat in that chair, one whose own mother was a retired teacher, denied a COLA in her later years; and his own daughter, an active teacher contributing 14% of her salary.
Emulate that compassion.
Emulate Wade.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company