Saturday, May 18, 2024

Karen Loeffler to STRS Board: We are all in this together; I am grateful for the efforts of board members who continue to advocate for us.

Karen Loeffler's remarks to STRS Board

May 16, 2024
STRS Board Meeting 05/16/2024 My name is Karen Loeffler. I retired in July 2012 with 30 years experience as a high school classroom teacher and as a middle school counselor. I have worked in Columbus City Schools, an urban district; Eastland Fairfield Career and Technical Schools; and in Pickerington Schools, a suburban district. I also spent countless hours as a volunteer in Pickerington Schools, in a variety of capacities. I cannot think of a greater profession than one where you have the ability to connect with and impact the lives of so many: students, colleagues, parents, and community members. I count myself fortunate to have had these experiences. 
Numerous members have addressed the concerns many of us share regarding the ongoing financial issues here at STRS. But those are not the issues I wish to address today. Yes, the financial issues are important, and we all want a strong, productive, responsible retirement system. But there seems to be a misperception of what we, the members, are seeking to achieve. It is not an “us vs them” mentality. It is not retirees seeking the COLA we need to stay financially stable vs actives seeking reduced years of service for a full retirement. It is all of that, because we are all in this together. I am grateful for the efforts of board members who continue to advocate for us. 
I am grateful for STRS employees who come to work every day, doing their professional best despite difficult conditions. And I am eternally grateful for the members of STRS who have continued to work on our behalf, expending their energies, their time, their expertise, and their personal funds in the process, all while being labeled at times as “whiners” or “malcontents”. They are heroes in every sense of the word, in my opinion. And, when the board looks out at the attendees in the room, or counts the number of members attending virtually, I hope you realize that for every person here, either physically or virtually, there are many more who cannot attend. They are actives who are teaching, or retirees who are unable due to illness or finances. They are my friends who each have spouses who now have cognitive issues such as Alzheimer’s. They are others who have cancer treatments, or dialysis, or any number of other issues. They are others who are stretched thin financially, and do not have the funds to travel. Even attending virtually requires funds whether for the technology equipment, or for the connections. But know this: we are watching, and we are in this together.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company