Thursday, November 03, 2005

Duane Tron: A veteran of the corporate world, the classroom and Viet Nam has a few words for Mr. Brandt

From: Duane E Tron
To: John Brandt
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Subject: Planning for retirement!

"OSBA will either be part of the solution or be part of the problem! I sadly see you as part of the bigger problem!"

Dear Mr. Brandt,

You have indicated in numerous correspondence that blame for our health insurance debacle is due to a lack of planning by retired educators. Mr. Brandt I wish to make it known that when I became a teacher at the age of 27 I left a position with a major corporation where I was a bright and rising star. All of my fellow colleagues in research and development for the company went on and became corporate CEO's. I chose to become a teacher to make a difference in the lives of young people and out of a sense of duty to community and nation.

I taught school for fifteen years and acquired a Master's Degree before my income equaled what I was making when I left Corporate America. My wife and I did invest wisely and prudently and if we had not we would be faced with abject poverty today. You implied that many educators needed to plan better. Unfortunately I along, with thousands of others worked in rural and impoverished school district with low pay and benefits. I spent my entire career in low paying positions where it was very difficult to save very much money at any time. In addition, I had the privilege to work in school districts with disgraceful and dilapidated facilities during my career.

I only counted on two things when I chose to retire. They were quality and affordable health insurance and a monthly check. I chose to work for substandard wages throughout my career. Unlike some teachers in high priced districts we didn't have the luxury to save and invest large sums of money. I was subjected to increased education standards that required a higher degree and ongoing CEU's and college credits to maintain my certification to teach. The problem? This was another unfunded mandate that I was required to absorb from my paltry paycheck. I never worked in any district where the school board picked up these additional costs.

You accuse us of poor planning? We thought we did a great job of planning and then we watched half of our investments evaporate in 2002 when the stock market went south. Then we were slammed by huge and outrageous increases for health insurance with STRS and with no advance warning. I would remind you that PERS is still charging retirees about $90.00 a month for health insurance. My wife and I were subjected to increases that are close to $800.00 a month. STRS did NOT grandfather anyone and the costs are outrageous.

The health insurance crisis you accuse us of not properly preparing for is the crisis that is sweeping across this nation today. I guess NOBODY properly planned for retirement from the employees at Delphi, Navistar, US Steel, Delta Airlines, United Airlines, and on and on!

Sir! You like so many others appear to be totally out of touch with reality and the magnitude of the crisis we are all facing. The federal government is NOT able to bail us out. You and your entourage haven't been able to resolve the ongoing funding problems plaguing Ohio's schools. Why haven't you planned better to secure adequate funding for Ohio's schools? Why have you failed so miserably to prepare public schools to adjust to ongoing lost revenues?

You made a threat that with your power and influence you will fight any increase to STRS from public schools to stabilize the pension fund and HC component. You have been reported as saying that you have lots of power and you will get STRS placed under Social Security. I have found that lawmakers haven't been wowed by your statements and threats. This is a powerful barometer we use to determine the credibility of anyone! Guess where you rank on the bar?

I realize you think you are very powerful and influential and if this were so I would think you would have convinced the Ohio General Assembly to fix Ohio's school funding dilemma. Correct? Mr. Brandt if you can't convince them to fix the funding dilemma I surely doubt you are able to compel any lawmakers to place STRS, and the other four state pension funds, into Social Security!

Mr. Brandt I am willing to bet that I am better connected to top political leaders than you or any of your associates. I haven't been able to convince any of them of the need for reform in a number of areas and I seriously doubt that you can achieve the lofty, and ridiculous threat, you made against us.

Sir! You are truly out of touch. My daughter pays 18% of her monthly check into her retirement fund. Her employer contributes 18% as well. STRS hasn't increased contributions in two decades to offset major increases in health insurance costs and other costs associated with retirement. Please don't try and insult the intelligence of retirees with idle and simple threats. An increase in contributions is long overdue and must occur if current actives hope to have a chance to retire in the future.

Mr. Brandt, last year my wife and I paid 39.43% of my gross retirement check for health insurance and related co-pays and deductibles. Do you think this to be fair and just for my years of service to the children of the state of Ohio? Not only did I serve school children as a teacher, coach and principal, I served nearly 20 years as a volunteer firefighter and member of our EMS. I also served six years in the US military during Vietnam! Do you think it proper,correct that I have to pay nearly 40% of my monthly check for health care?

Mr. Brandt you must be living in a parallel universe! What you have been saying is that I have NOT earned my retirement! Mr. Brandt I have placed my life in harms way more times than I wish to count to serve my country, state, and local community! And you think I'm NOT entitled to quality and affordable health insurance?

My daughter places her life on the line every day to protect the President of the United States and I resent anyone implying that I haven't earned my retirement! I would equally resent anyone implying that my daughter hasn't been paying her way toward her retirement! Mr. Brandt, you are out of touch with reality and really don't possess a firm grasp, or understanding, of what has been going on.

I am only asking for what I HAVE earned and nothing more. If this means that actives have to pay an additional 2.5% over the next five years I hardly see this as being unreasonable! I guess if they want to be able to retire they will have to pay! If you want to raise the backs of Ohio's active teachers get up and tell them that you are going to force them into Social Security. I want to be present when this announcement is made because I want to see the reaction of active teachers to you and OSBA.

There is only one reasonable solution to this crisis and that is to fix the problems and not make ignorant threats and statements! We should all be working together to fix the problem and it appears that you are a big part of the problem!

I, along with thousands of others, am only asking for that which we were PROMISED and to which we EARNED during our years of service. We are not asking for anything unreasonable or unobtainable! We only want what we were promised during our 30+ years of teaching the children of the State of Ohio. Sir! This is hardly unreasonable on our part!

OSBA will either be part of the solution or be part of the problem! I sadly see you as part of the bigger problem!

Duane Tron
St. Paris, OH
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company