Thursday, November 24, 2005

Tom Curtis; an apology to Damon from the LAST person who needs to apologize; and a comment from John Curry

From John Curry
11/22/05

Tom, my take. You don't owe an apology to anyone at STRS who didn't strive to abide by the Ohio Revised Code 3307.15 in their positions of leadership at STRS- not a single one! Some of those people whom I am referring to are still there. Some have been convicted or will be convicted of ethics violations and some continue on to run for governor. You, Thomas, have had the courage to speak out and call a spade a spade. You have identified BS and smoke and mirrors when you observed it and called it to our attention as well as theirs. As far as Damon, well- my jury is still out on that matter. I respect him and I think he respects me (no more, no less). He was put in a difficult position when he took over - I realize that. I also realize that he gets paid handsomely to "shoulder the load." People who hold a position such as his usually display a certain amount of "political slipperyness" from time to time in order to survive. Being vigilant deserves no apology from anybody. Calling 'em like you see 'em deserves no apology. Hang in there, my friend. John

From: Tom Curtis
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2005
Subject: 112205 Curtis To Asbury; Apology Extended

Hello Damon,

As Thanksgiving approaches and I think of the true meaning of such, I feel I must write you and apologize for my many and continued sinister comments made towards you over the past 2-1/2 years.

I find it so very difficult to not be overly angry about something I hold so dear to my heart, the future well being and financial security of my wife and family. Something I planned for my entire career, based upon promises made to me throughout my career.

When I voiced this concern to you a number of months ago in the boardroom, you asked me who promised me such? I must tell you that comment hurt me and angered me so much I could not respond to you.

I retired in 1998 and had such in hand, only to have it taken away for reasons I still cannot perceive, as those coming from compassionate and caring people. This broken promise is the end result of those people who are, or were placed in a position to help and honor those they represent during their senior years. How does one deal with this and not get upset and angry? Can you provide me with some form of comfort?

In my opinion, the ORC section 3307.15 states that those fiduciaries are to solely and exclusively work for the benefit of all benefit recipients and their beneficiaries in the most efficient manner possible, yet that was not and still is not the case at the STRS.

I really try, obviously with little success, to use those mentors that have worked along side of me to help me see what I need to do. The mentors I am speaking of are those such as the David Speas and Bob Buerkle's, who can speak to you and the board with a calm and even manner. And even though they and their ideas have been turned away time and again, they still continue in their cool and calm demeanor to attempt to bring about change without being overly negative. I pray for patience, my only problem is that I want it right now.

I offer you this apology, hoping you realize that I am thinking about alleviating my anger each and everyday. This whole process seems so overly tedious and long term to begin to correct. I will continue to struggle to put my angry remarks behind me, but that is not easy for me and I am sure countless others.

God bless you, your staff and board during this Thanksgiving week and all year long, those who represent us as our fiduciaries. May you and all of your families have much to be thankful for this Thursday. We live in such a wonderful God given abundant society. I wish to live in no other country than in the USA.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Tom Curtis
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company