Saturday, December 10, 2005

Jim Kimmel: Christmas decorations at Grinch Palace

John Curry: "I bet there is real GOLD in them there packages!!!!! How much did the trees and decorations cost???? Want to bet them spent the poinsettia money on them???"
Kathie Bracy: "I counted ten Christmas trees in that area; way too many to get all in one picture. They must have been artificial, as I couldn't smell any pine, and nobody was sneezing, and they were too perfect to be real. While the decorations were nice, they were not elaborate. I wonder if they store the trees someplace from year to year."
From: Jim Kimmel
Sent: Saturday, December 10, 2005
Subject: Re: Merry Christmas?, Retirees

So who paid for the STRS Christmas trees and ersatz gifts beneath them ? How do non-Christian employees feel ? I hope STRS funds were not used for the decorations. They look "professional." I personally have no objections to Christmas trees but then I am not Jewish or Moslem. But I DO wonder who paid for all that and if it is indeed proper in an organization representing state money and all the teachers of all faiths in the State of Ohio. I think the Spirit of the Grinch is still there in spite of dismissal of the Head Grinch a few years ago and all the fancy decorations. I would hope the employees took some of their bonus money and paid for all the Christmas trees. I don't think most schools even allow Christmas trees in classrooms anymore. It is too bad in some ways but if they are not allowed in schools why in STRS ? Again, are WE paying for this ?
I know some wealthy people who have a decorator come in and set up Christmas trees in every room. A fellow teacher held our staff Christmas party at his palatial home one year. (He married a very rich if homely woman) I was amazed people even did that and even more amazed when he proudly told us what it all cost. As a Christian I set up my Christmas tree at home and don't need one at work (or in every room!). And can't AFFORD a professional tree "decoration team" anyway! I don't mean to sound like old Ebeneezer Scrooge but enough is certainly enough.
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company