Monday, December 19, 2005

Jim N. Reed to Tom Curtis: ORTA, OEA and STRS are almost sacred to the uninformed and misinformed

Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2005
Subject: You deserve a Great Holiday!

Tom, I am trying to figure out my new computer and I am not a quick-learn when it comes to technology. I'm self-taught and that leads to some problems. What's the old adage about being your own lawyer and having a fool for a client!
I've recently talked to a couple members of the Fairfield County Retired Teachers' Association to get a sense of what information about STRS has been circulated within the group.(The other Jim Reed -Pickerington- was an active member before he went back to some part-time work in the Pickerington District. I've never been a member.)
What I encountered is probably what some other CORE members have learned. ORTA, OEA, and STRS are almost sacred to the uninformed and misinformed. I think we can change that.
As an example, I received a phone call,following the publication of my letter-to-the-editor, from an educator family who was "incensed" after reading about the misspending of STRS funds in the litigation over the '03 bonuses for employees. They wanted to know "what they could do." Good start.
Enjoy the holiday break. You certainly deserve it. May your stocking be filled with supportive e-mails and some new CORE memberships. We know where the coal belongs!
Jim N. Reed
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company