Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Jim Reed to Tom Curtis re: "Sunshine Patriots" and "Summertime Patriots" and more

From: Jim Reed
To: Tom Curtis
Sent: Thursday, December 08, 2005

Tom, thanks for sending the copy of your remarks scheduled for delivery at the December 8 STRB meeting. (I was there in spirit and next time intend to be there in the flesh.) Your sentiments are right on the money. As a retirement classmate in '98 I can totally appreciate your disappointment and disgust.
I hope there was a good representation at this meeting for the CORE pioneers. Numbers are important. Dyer and the OEA always made me feel that "one is a lonely number." I believe it's one of their favorite strategies to deal with any complaints that come before them from retirees.
Yesterday I sent you a copy of my editorial written for the readers of the Lancaster "Eagle-Gazette" and today (8th) it was published.
I also read your response to "Ralph" regarding the abundance of "Sunshine Patriots" and "Summertime Patriots" among the ranks of retirees. It's more than an accusation. Unfortunately, it's the unmitigated truth. I would imagine your response smarted when Ralph and many others tuned in., as it should have. It stung me a bit. I recognize I need to do more and will be at the next meeting if the Lord's willing and the creek don't rise.
I believe one of our challenges is to convince non-CORE members that we have more than a personal agenda on the line. (Make no mistake-I believe we have a right to be personally offended and insulted for our careers and families. It's difficult not to have "an axe to grind!") I recognize this is one of my problems when I discuss my fractured relationship with STRS with other educators who are either ignorant or apathetic. However, I plan to continue barking with the hope that it may evolve into a bite.
Has there been a concerted effort to infiltrate the 88 county retired teachers' associations? I imagine there is an overabundance of apathy and ignorance.
Jim N. Reed
CORE malcontent
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company