Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Mary Thomas to Tom Curtis: Your ideas need to be heard by the RTAs

Once again, another jewel from Thomas. John

From: Tom Curtis
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005
Subject: 120605 Curtis Resp To Thomas; Re Speaking To RTA Groups

Hello Mary,

Thank you for your complimentary comment. I have not been invited to speak to any groups other than CORE, but I would certainly consider any invitations, depending on my availability on a date requested; the distance and expense to travel there.

I was highly criticized by my Stark Co. RTA president back in February of March for the view I have taken on many issues. He called me and told me I was not following the "ground rules" and proceeded to tell me what they were. He also warned me that I was being very detrimental to Dennis Leone's election possibilities at the time. Obviously, he has no interest in me speaking to my own county group. So no, after his remarks, I really have not thought about doing such.

I was in total disagreement with him and told him so. But then, he is highly aligned with the leadership in ORTA and feels you have to work your way up through the organizations, before you are permitted, or entitled to be heard. ORTA criticized CORE for not being diplomatic about how we approached the situation.

Since ORTA did so little to represent those in my situation as a retiree, as many in CORE are, we had no other choice but to stand-up for ourselves. In my opinion, Dennis Leone, John Lazares and CORE have made a very positive influence in helping to bring about change at the STRS. Change that has already saved the membership millions of dollars in what would have been lost excessive spending revenue. A plethora of changes still remains to be accomplished, as the prior board and Herb Dyer set processes and procedures in place that are not easily, or never can be changed.

One example of this, and one that has frightened me from the very beginning, is the future liability of SB190. I questioned the cost of SB190 to the system in 2003. Damon Asbury has always contended that the cost is a wash, but until they had five years of data, they could not truly determine such. It is now 2005 and we will not hear about the study of such until January 2006, if they do not postpone it again. The same firm completed the study, Buck Consultants. They provided the consulting for the go ahead of SB190 in 1998-99. The figures used at that time, to justify such an increase in the retirement index increase for those teaching beyond 30 years, were those that resulted from all of the bull market profits the STRS had garnered all through the 90's. Most all of those figures never continued and are way out of line today. At that time, Buck Consultants suggested that the STRS could even reduce the employer contribution from 14% to 12% and still be able to fund the highly increased pension amounts that would be paid out in the future. That statement alone made me shiver!

As I just explained in a prior email to another retiree, I am, as many in CORE, between the ages of 52 - 65 and have several years before I reach 65 and am able to go on Medicare. Fortunately, both my wife and I qualify for Medicare and Medicaid.

I have a non-teaching spouse to insure and I retired prior to 1999. My medical expenses in 2004 were just over $13,000, which is over one-third of my pension and they will be as high or higher in 2005. I unfortunately had 6 hospitalizations and five surgeries in the past one and one half years. Prior to that, I had 57 years of excellent health. One never knows when the bottom is going to fall out. Fortunately, all of my surgeries were very successful and I believe my repairs are complete, but my medical costs are certainly far greater then I ever anticipated.

I realize all Americans have seen health care costs soar, but the situation I find myself in now, is not what I was promised when I retired in 1998. Much of my savings have been used, which leaves me with a high concern for my financial future. I planned for the future and believed the promises made by the STRS, but they did not stand behind what I was told when I retired in 1998. They without any concern simply revoked what I had been promised, a spousal subsidy until death.

I cannot afford to go to court to fight for what I believe to be right and the STRS well knows it. CORE has tried to establish a legal fund to do such, but we are far from the estimated one-quarter to one-half of a million dollars needed to do such. Even if I we raised the necessary money to go into court and fight for what we were promised, it would cost the STRS hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees. The membership loses again. This whole scenario is what makes those of us in CORE so darn feisty and willing to stand up and fight. Those educators that are not effected by the changes in the health care benefit see no reason to get involved. This is the sad truth of it, but this is how most in CORE, view all of this. Well, enough for now. Thank you again for your support and caring.

Take care,

Tom Curtis


From: Mary Thomas
Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2005 9:30 AM
Tom, do you ever go out and speak to retired teacher groups? I think your ideas need to be heard. Mary Thomas
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company