Friday, January 06, 2006

Elfrieda Ramseyer's letter to Lara Baker

From: Elfrieda Ramseyer
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006
Subject: Hazel Sidaway, past STRS board member

Ms. Baker: (Chief Legal Counsel)

I am a retired nursing education associate professor and member of STRS who is very much interested in what happens to the case of Hazel Sidaway, a past board member for STRS. I am hopeful that you will prosecute her to the fullest. Ms. Sidaway was one of our 'big spenders' when she was on the board. She went on many 'business' trips to conferences and experienced expensive fun activities while there which included her famous trip when she and her spouse (and others) were entertained on OUR money for over $500.00/ticket for a Broadway show. When she retired from the board, she was given a party which cost us over $4000. I would like to find any teacher or professor who ever was given a party costing this much money?? (I remember bringing snacks from home for parties of this kind, not purchased by the school but by me personally!)

When adding up the monies spent on just one board member for just one period of time, I wonder what we would find if we added up the total for Ms. Sidaway's decade of time spent on STRS Board, perks and all! I am definitely very interested because this happens to be MY money that the STRS Board spends. As a member of STRS, I deserve the right to know just where, what and how my money was and is being spent. When I was on a faculty, anytime I was sent to a conference representing the university, I had to give a presentation upon my return as to how that specific conference assisted me in being a better professor. Where or when did Ms. Sidaway give an account of time spent when she was gone on these trips, representing all of us who belong to STRS? Ms. Baker, it is time for 'big spenders' to be prosecuted to the fullest. In your position you represent all of us who belong to STRS and we are counting on you. Thank you.

Elfrieda Landes Ramseyer
STRS Member

CORE Member
ACRTA Member
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company