Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Molly to Gov. Taft, legislators, state supt. and ORSC re: two STRS appointed Board members blatantly distancing themselves from membership


From: Molly Janczyk
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006
Subject: Investment Appointees: Fisher and Meyers

Dear Governor, Representatives, ORSC:

I have watched the Investment Appointees for some time as I attend nearly every STRS Board Meeting. I am sorely disappointed in Fisher and Meyers. Meyers rarely speaks, asks a question or even seems involved. They both appear to be steeped in corporate thinking and seem to have little interest in membership.

I have personally overheard Fisher argue with a fellow board member, John Lazares, asking: "WHO DID IT AFFECT" when Lazares brought up issues of STRS not doing business with companies accused or convicted of violations. John kept saying to her, "Judith, it is the law." She kept emphatically arguing that she thinks in terms of gravity. "John, if a friend of mine gets a speeding violation, I don't stop being his friend." John kept saying, "It is the law, Judith and if you don't understand that, there is no more I can say."

It was clear to me, that Fisher is ok with violations if she deems them not serious. Lazares was following the ORC: 3307.15 fighting for STRS membership. Appointees to the board, Fisher and Meyers did not bother much with this and voted him down. I emailed Fisher but she blocks me so I had an STRS employee forward my email to her. No response as it usual. I am never answered by her. I can only assume it is because I do not agree with her thinking. But, should that be reason to be ignore as an STRS member?

Both Meyers and Fisher display corporate thinking in their voting in my opinion promoting old board concepts regarding themselves. STRS is a pension system, not a corporation, and we need appointees well versed in background of educators and their concerns. Their minds seem firmly set in private business style mentality and it was my understanding appointees should be focused on ORC:3307.15.

Please do not take my word for it but ask STRS membership what they desire and what they have seen. Come, unannounced to board meetings several times, when controversial issues are up for vote. Ask yourself if you were a teacher affected by these individuals, is this how you would want your representatives voting.

Looking forward to a response. I am sure these are reputable people. That is not the concern. We want board members who can see all sides of an issue, discuss with ALL other board members all sides and consider all views and not simply be already set to deliver. I have yet to see this displayed by these 2 appointees.

Sincerely,
Molly Janczyk
Retiree
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company