Wednesday, March 15, 2006

How to copy-and-paste an item from this blog; how to print part of a document or a single item from this blog

Some have asked how to copy an article from this blog and paste it elsewhere (into an e-mail or document page). I know it can be a tricky venture since this is a long blog and you don't want to have to print out the whole thing. I have played around with it and have come up with some steps that should help, and have printed them below. The trick is learning to highlight only the part you want. With a few minutes of practice, it should become pretty easy to do, and the rest is easy. Please let me know if you still have trouble and I will try to help. Kathie (kbb47@aol.com)

How to copy-and-paste from this blog

1. Position your cursor (pointer/arrow) at the beginning of the text you want to copy. The arrow needs to turn into an "I" bar -- looks like a capital "i". Click here. (You won't see anything happen.)

2. Press and hold down the Shift key for the next step.

3. Position your cursor (look for it to become an "I" bar again) at the end of the text you want to copy. Keeping the Shift key down, click again. Your text should be highlighted. Release the Shift key; it will stay highlighted.

4. Right-click your mouse, with the pointer on the highlighted text. On the little drop-down menu, click "Copy."

5. Position your cursor (pointer, arrow) and click (in the document or e-mail) where you want to paste your text.

6. Right-click your mouse. On the little drop-down menu, click "Paste." That should do it.
____________

How to print just part of a document, or a single item from this blog
Some have also wondered how to print a single post from this blog. I am no expert at this, but every time I need help with anything at all, I go to www.google.com. Google is my right arm; when I wanted to start a blog several months ago, I had absolutely no idea how to do it, so I went to Google and typed in "free blog." Within minutes, I had this thing up and running (and it has since taken over my life!). Same thing when I wanted to add the hit counter at the bottom of this page a couple weeks ago.
Go to Google and type in something like "ways to print part of a document." I did that a minute ago, and a number of helpful looking articles came up. If you haven't been a Google user, give it a try. I even threw away most of my cookbooks because I find thousands of great recipes through Google. One thing I do know when it comes to printing part of something is that you have to highlight it first, which can be tricky with this blog if you don't know more than one way to do it. Check the part (the beginning of this article) that tells how to do it. (Yes, I got some of the info from Google.) Good luck. NOTE: If you paste the item into a blank e-mail or document sheet, you can print it out the way you usually do. If you have trouble, Google can help (Google's a lot smarter than I am!) Kathie (originally posted Jan. 31, 2006)
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company