Sunday, April 09, 2006

Tom Curtis: Questions for an 'informed' (?) Board member who has NEVER READ Dennis Leone's reports

"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it."
~ Edmund Burke
April 8, 2006
Hello Conni Ramser,
Today I received my ballot for the STRS election. I read each candidate's statements. I find grave differences in what you state and the actions you have taken while on the Board for the past 2 years. You state,
"As a Board member, I see my role as one who needs to be informed and objective."
"I have the interest and energy to study the issues and make the types of decisions that need to be made in order to protect the future of STRS for current and future retirees." and
"Additionally, I need to be mindful of the issues that brought the Board under intense scrutiny and work to keep those issues from arising again."
Is this the same Conni Ramser that in January 2006, stated in an email to a retiree that she has not and does not see the need to read Dr. Leone's 2 reports of 2003?
First, how can you say you are informed and objective, when you have failed to read the 2 documents from an outside source (Dr. Leone) that brought the gross misspending of the past board, under the scrutiny you speak of? How will continuing to ignore Dr. Leone's 2 reports protect the future of the STRS for current and future retirees? How can you be mindful of the issues that brought the board under intense scrutiny and work to keep those issues from arising again, when you do not even know what they are? As Vice-Chair of the Board you have made little to no effort in bringing those issues into discussion with the board? How can you not want to address these issues as your membership continually asks you to do?
Your statements above are not consistent with your actions. Nor is telling me those things happened in the past and in your eyes are old news. There are many spending issues in Dr. Leone's reports that are still relevant and long overdue in being addressed. As a current board member and Vice-Chair, I wonder why you are so adamant about not reading Dr. Leone's 2 reports and discussing such with the membership and the Board?
During the Board retreat on February 2nd, 2006, I supplied you with copies of Dr. Leone's 2 reports to the STRS board in 2003. I asked you to read both of the papers and sit down with me and discuss what has and has not been dealt with yet. I have written you with this same request. You have failed to respond to both my verbal and written request. Your inaction concerning this matter does not support your statements above. I assure you and all other board members, ignoring these issues will not permit them to simply go away. The STRS membership desires Board members who will eliminate spending abuses and will stand together and be accountable for reducing such.
Since you have been unwilling to be held to this measure to date, then your statements above are simply nice things to say, not ones you truly can show accountability in solving.
Tom Curtis
CORE Advisory Committee Member
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company