Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Jim N. Reed: An Election Reflection... Bittersweet


As a high school varsity baseball and basketball coach for over 20 years I was frequently asked to rate an official's performance following the game. I found my evaluation of the referees' or umpires' performances was more accurate and valid when I waited a few days to allow the contest to be "absorbed." Immediately after the heat of battle emotional smoke could easily cloud a clear vision of the contest.

Consequently, I have taken a few days to digest what seems to have taken place in the April election for the two active seats on the STRS Board. I must admit to some indigestion.

However, I must preclude a further analysis by suggesting our opponents engineered successful strategies and tactics that got the job done. (I'm reminded of my dear mother-in-law's admonition, "You can always catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar.") We must tip our caps and accept the fact we did not reach as many of our voters as they did.

I've read the words of Mollie, Tom, Kathie, John, Paul, and others and I believe each has offered a valid analysis. CORE has some of the most eloquent writers I have had the pleasure to encounter as a 40-year educator.

Though I admit the CORE-endorsed candidates did not fare well in the election I remain certain they were the most qualified candidates to make decisions in our $65 billion dollar retirement system. We all know the best team doesn't always win. Sour grapes? Nope. Just the facts, Mam.

On an exterior brick wall at Liberty Union High School where I have been a student and teacher for half a century, there is a concrete marker that states "Knowledge Is Power." (The marker is placed in the same location of the double doors of the razed 1917 building. The two rival communities of Baltimore and Basil battled over the site for the new "union" of school districts and finally settled on a piece of property that allowed the building to straddle the boundary. The left door opened into Basil and the right door opened into Baltimore. True story. Thought you might enjoy.)

CORE failed to disseminate enough knowledge to enough of the electorate. Heaven knows it was not from a lack of effort. I can't express my admiration enough for those in the trenches who became foot soldiers around the state to spread the word about being STRS-literate. My cap's off to all of you.

Unfortunately, the STRS election suffered the same humiliation as the state of Ohio did in the primary. An apathetic electorate stayed home at a disgraceful 77%. The genuine importance of the election results did not get transmitted to those who chose not to participate. Too many eligible voters did not feel personally involved and were not motivated to use their franchise for a "bigger picture" than the one they found themselves in on election day. ( If I'm comfortable, why bother the status quo.)

This brings to mind a point that I believe many "removed" educators do not grasp. I can't speak for all CORE members but my sense is that we are not interested in adding another permanent education entity to the plethora of education's "call letters" and acronyms. Being taken seriously and being a part of a correction in our retirement system are the main goals. If an existing organization can show good faith and is willing to carry the ORC 3307.15 ball I sense that CORE would be willing to gracefully and proudly withdraw. Most of us would gladly relinquish the time, effort, and finances to an existing group (ORTA) as long as they are willing to continue to be gladiators and watchdogs for all retired and active educators.

Don't misunderstand and don't take us lightly. CORE has some of the most determined folks I've had the pleasure to meet. We intend to achieve the goals that our charter members established when Dr. Dennis Leone provided the wake-up call. Like many third parties in our political heritage, CORE would accept their fates. Either get what you have targeted and dissipate because the unit has achieved its goal or be gobbled up by a major party that realizes the third party's ideals are the wave of the future and so they make it a part of their platform. Either way, the third party has won the contest. (My apologies to those members of CORE who may disagree. I certainly make no pretense to speak for you.)

Personally, I'm actually encouraged by what I have heard and seen in the past several months. I have encountered many educators, retired and active, who have asked what they could do to make sure that the corrections in STRS, spear-headed by Dr. Leone and John Lazarus, continue. ( I also believe others on the Board are better tuned in to ORC 3307.15 after listening to the words of the public speakers in the Board room.) I don't believe there will ever be the degree of naivete that duped the membership in the past. There is no doubt that the level of awareness has been raised but the bar needs to be continually raised.

I still have faith in my fellow educators to make choices that will protect their families' futures. I still believe if any teacher makes a close inspection of Dr. Leone's findings of STRS conduct in the past he/she will refuse to be a passive on-looker. ( I still feel vehemently that all STRS members must be aware of the history of their organization, the good, the bad, and the ugly. How else can we know what direction to take to best serve our profession and our families?)

We must remain willing to continue the education process. An educator's mind is a terrible thing to waste. We also need to continue to inform the general public. After all, their 14% (or more) is critical to stabilization and they need to understand their investment ripples into the classroom where their children or grandchildren will reach for the future.

We don't need to make a concession speech but we need to continue to be vigilant and offer cooperation and a professional partnership when it solidifies the promises that our retirement system has made to all of us.

Finally, I wish to express my gratitude to Dr. Thomas Hall and Mr. Mark Fredrick for their courage and willingness to put their time and efforts forth to carry the ideals of so many educators in the state of Ohio.

Jim N. Reed
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company