Monday, July 10, 2006

Retiree recalls nerve-wracking 'hammering' by Betty Montgomery's office

From Lois Blaney, July 9, 2006
Subject: Re:Marc returns favor to former STRS board member Betty (Montgomery) - and then some!
Dear Molly --
Joan Donley fwds STRS info & this one regarding OH auditor Montgomery brought my hackles up remembering our experience 6 yrs ago when we sold our house in Baltimore & moved to Florida.
3 (THREE) days before our closing, our title co. called & said that there was a lien on our property that had to be cleared before we could sell. I couldn't believe my ears, it was by the State of Ohio -- we had had a craft business for 10 yrs., I canceled my vendors license & paid the final quarter sales tax.
Then I received a bill for late taxes for $1500 + plus late penalty -- I wrote back & asked how I could have a tax bill of $1500, when we didn't even sell that much merchandise. I never received a response & "assumed" it was corrected.
NO! I still owed $5.00 -- YES! FIVE Dollars! Instead of notifying me, they put a lien on our house.
I was furious, but the interesting thing was that the lien was filed by an attorney from Dayton, OH -- Montgomery's "stomping grounds" -- which made me more furious that our tax dollars are paying her 'cronies"!
Not to mention a trip to Lancaster to pay the $5.00, & they did me a special favor & completed the paper work in one day ("UNHEARD OF"), indicating that the lien had been paid & had to deliver it to Columbus so our closing could stay on schedule. It cost me $40.00 to get the lien removed, not to mention all of the anxiety & extra time to complicate our "Exit" from Ohio!!
If Marc would like more exact dates, details, name of law firm, etc., I'll "dig" it out -- I just wonder how many other people have been "hammered" by them & how much the state pays that law firm for every case they handle??????
Thanks for all that you do for STRS!!
Sincerely,
Lois Blaney
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company