Friday, October 20, 2006

STRS Board meeting: Some observations and a speech from Jim Reed

From Jim N. Reed to John Curry, October 19, 2006
Subject: Re: your STRS speech today

John, I was uncertain whether I could remain long enough in the "public speak" segment to deliver some remarks so I didn't put my thoughts together until I arrived at about 12:30 and checked the sign-in sheet. I apologize for any lack of organization in the delivery of those remarks. It was nearly an extemporaneous delivery. (I will repeat it at the close of this e-mail if you still believe it's worth sharing.)
I remain amazed at the diversity of the stages of satisfaction-dissatisfaction with STRS that I hear from recipients. (Maybe some are PERS in disguise!)
And besides there OEA whose hero was Mike Billirakis as an STRS board member? What am I missing? With a couple of ethics charges in his resume at what point did he become deserving of the kind of praise lavished on him by Leibensperger.
The snide, arrogant, and condescending remarks from Meyers to Dennis nearly got me out of my seat. Ramser admonished all speakers in her "public speak" preface to refrain from any personal attacks if a complaint was to be identified but permitted, via her silence, Meyers to belittle Dennis's attempts to get some specific answers from Asbury. And then Ramser postpones an effort by Dennis and John to offer a resolution to an obvious contractual error. What a shameful exhibition from the people with whom we are supposed to trust our retirements!
And why was there not some response from every board member during that exchange? Do they not have an opinion? Did they not do their homework? Are there some behind-the-scenes arm-twisting?
(Speech):
"Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. My name is Jim N. Reed. I am a 42-year educator, teaching on a part-time basis since 1998 when I became an STRS beneficiary.
I appear before you today representing my family.
I would like to publicly express my sincere gratitude to board members Dr. Dennis Leone and Mr. John Lazares for their sacrifices and efforts on behalf of Ohio's retired teachers. They have become a beacon of enlightenment.
I would challenge the remaining veteran and rookie board members to join Dr. Leone and Mr. Lazares in what I hopefully call a "Renaissance for Retirees."
It seems to me that an absolute requirement for participation in this critical transition is a complete knowledge of the legacy of this system.
I submit that it is inexcusable, even absurd, to remain knowingly ignorant of past performance, the good, the bad, and the ugly.
My optimism for this Renaissance hinges on the willingness of all board members to adhere to the "legal promise" of ORC 3307.15 and to always keep in mind that no STRS expenditure is "trivial."
Thank you for your attentive audience.
Jim N. Reed
10-19-'06
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company