Friday, December 01, 2006

Shirlee Zerkel: Thank you Ms. Ramser

From Shirlee Zerkel, December 1, 2006
Subject: Thank you Ms. Ramser
Thank you for contacting Damon on the request for information about the staff premiums and benefits for 2006 and 2007. I am supposed to receive information in the mail as it was mailed out today along with a copy of a letter Damon supposedly sent to me on November 28th. I never received that letter. At least my requests have suddenly been recognized and I have you to thank for that.
I first asked for the information on Nov. 17, and received very unclear and incomplete information about premiums only. I again requested on 22nd, the 25th, 27th and 28th with no acknowledgement from STRS concerning the situation. I finally emailed Conni Ramser on the situation. I have had many issues with Ms. Knoesel and Mr. Russell concerning health care situations and payment of medical expenses for retirees that exceed the out-of-pocket amounts. A little over a year and one half ago, I tried to help an older couple who had been told by STRS that the claims paid by Aetna were correct. The couple did not have the stamina to deal with the issue and asked me to help.
After the couple had paid their deductible, the outstanding bills were over $20,000 dollars - in network. But STRS told me also that Aetna had correctly figured the payments. But the STRS health care plan book, which is not sent to all retirees, stated a $1,500 out-of-pocket max. This couple should have only paid a total of $2,000 for deductible and out-of-pocket, Yet Mr. Russell and I had many words over the situation. It took me over a year to resolve this with STRS. CareMark is another issue with retirees too.
Dear Board members, the health care services and responses to retiree questions leaves a lot to be desired. It is not as STRS wants you Board members to believe. We retirees should not have to fight for every little benefit we receive. Some are too infirm to fight the fight it takes, so they just shut up and go away. That is what STRS staff wants. You the Board only see the picture they want you to see!
Thanks for listening to me and thanks again to you, Conni.
Shirlee Zerkel
2002 retiree
Life OEA and NEA
CORE
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company