Monday, March 12, 2007

Duane Tron: STRS & spreading the pain around

Duane Tron to Kathie Bracy, March 11, 2007
Subject: Re: Story and Pics of a former student!
Kathie,
Thanks! I couldn't attend the commissioning ceremony in New Orleans, due to work, but will be making the trip at a later date for a VIP tour of the ship. The only reason my buttons may be bursting is too much growth in the mid-section and not between the ears.
I want to say I voted for Marc Dann and so far I like him. I like his aggressive approach and I think he is going to be a breath of fresh air as Ohio's AG. We have a like mindset and if elected president I would consider him as Attorney General. It's becoming obvious that all of the hype about certain people lacking political experience is just that . . . . . "HYPE!" Sometimes quality, honesty, dedication, hard work, and integrity mean much more than experience.
I came up in the military when the concepts of "Honor, Service, and "Duty," still really meant something. I was schooled that these were the most important qualities along with honesty, integrity, trust, hard work, and dedication. Human sacrifice is the highest price anyone can be asked to perform. I transferred that same philosophy during the years I served with the fire service, EMS, and law enforcement.
As a teacher I tried to instill the concept into every student that when they held positions of power to always respect those who serve beneath them. I used to say, "be very careful whose backs you climb up to get to the top, because you might have to pass them one day on your way back down." That is called teaching and not simply presenting. I see reflections of those ideals in the young people I taught as they have assumed positions of tremendous power and responsibility. This is one course that has been missing from our colleges of education! This is due to the fact that many "ivory tower" types don't understand these concepts. The concepts are totally alien to them and their life experiences!
When you have placed your life on the line for others you gain a greater understanding and appreciation for human life. You develop an understanding of just how precious life is, how fragile life is, and what is really important. I harbor no illusions! I never send anyone into harm's way without a lot of thought, planning, consideration, and forethought. I will never ask anyone to do anything I'm not willing to do myself. This is what separates mediocre leadership from great leadership!
It's kind of like people like Barbara Streisand badmouthing mainstream politicians because they haven't done enough to fix problems such as global warming. Barbara lives in a 22,000+ square foot palace in Malibu that costs tens of thousands of dollars in utilities to air condition and provide electricity. She owns four large gas guzzling SUV's and rides to most events in stretch limos, and flies on corporate jets that consume large amounts of fossil fuels for transporting 2-3 people around the globe. She also owns several other huge residences in different locations. I'm out of the old school! If these famous and rich people are going to talk the talk then they had better start walking the walk. Don't preach to everyone else about what needs to be done when you aren't willing to step up and practice what you're preaching. This is where I got my philosophy about not asking those serving with me to do things I'm not willing to do myself. I was very fortunate when I served in the military because I never served under the command of any officer who would ask us to do things they weren't willing to do themselves. I learned this lesson well! I applied it in my classroom during all of the years I taught!
This is why the leaders of radical Islam are so pathetic. They recruit people to go out and commit suicide, in the name of Allah, but you will never see them strapping on a pack of explosives and doing what they exhort the poor people to do. In their minds everyone else is expendable but not them! I'll get off of my soapbox! It's why I have such disdain for the past leadership at STRS. They told all of us to suck it up and tough it out but you didn't see any of them stepping to the front of the line of hardship. My main beef with STRS is if we have to experience pain then they should spread the pain around, so everyone shares the burden, and not shift it to one group of retirees at the exclusion of the rest!
Mr. T for president in 2008
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company