Sunday, April 29, 2007

John Curry to Rep. Larry Flowers re HB 152: Why US and not THEM?

From John Curry, April 29, 2007
Subject: Re: On behalf of Rep. Flowers re: HB 152
Representative Flowers,
I thank you for your prompt reply to my letter re. HB 152 (alternative investments). I notice that you didn't address my question as to why this bill is aimed only at those who are employed in the field of public education and not other areas of public service such as municipal workers, police officers and firemen (not just in your former fire house), members of the Ohio Highway Patrol, county employees, etc., their respective union leadership and respective retirement systems.
Since HB 152 bill does present investment alternatives to those in the field of public education.... why not allow other public employees the same choice? Also, have you talked to officials of local school districts, SERS, and STRS concerning their feelings and input concerning this proposed bill. They will also be affected should HB 152 become law.
If you have talked to some or all of the officials of these affected entities - what were the feelings of these officials? I realize I may be asking for a lot but.... this proposed bill could affect the retirement of tens of thousands of Ohio's public employees. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to consider my questions.
Sincerely,
John Curry
Click here to view John Curry's previous letter to Rep. Flowers
Click here and here for more information on HB 152.
---
Rebecca Kuhns to John Curry, April 28, 2007
Subject: On behalf of Rep. Flowers re: HB 152
Dear John,
Thanks for your e-mail and your input on HB 152. You are correct; I was a firefighter/ paramedic for 30 years and fire chief for 22 of those years. I retired in 2000 under police and fire retirement.
The ‘intent’ of HB 152 is permissive and gives public servants options to invest their money. I will however review the bill to be sure it does not gut any system. I have spoken to some of my former employees and they like these options.
We should both be more concerned of how our systems are spending and investing! Again, thanks for your input.
Sincerely,
Larry L. Flowers
State Representative
Ohio House District 19
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company