Sunday, May 13, 2007

Duke Snider and Jeff Chapman re: Priorities

From Duke Snider, May 5, 2007
Subject: Re: Trio
Jeff, Thanks for the courteous reply. I'm also a board member (Brown County Educational Service Center). I want to make the best decisions which will be most beneficial to enhance the education for the children, parents, and educators in Brown County.
As far as my top priority, I place the children there. When deciding one's priority, a person has choices. Sometimes there are good and bad choices when prioritizing. I chose not to attend the 2007 OSBA convention in California, due to my beliefs in spending money. I felt with the condition of the financial situation of schools, I didn't think this was a wise decision. Does a person really absorb enough information and place it into action to justify the expense?
Furthermore, I believe some individuals view trips as vacations. For example, a school board member attended a conference, and he was asked about it. His reply was "The guy juggling chain saws was really good." I am very pro teachers, secretaries, aides, custodians, and bus drivers, because these people know and work with our children more than many parents. As far as administrators, there have been a complete change as compared to many years ago. It seems many are more interested in perks and their salaries.
Don't misunderstand me, because there are some who are dedicated. I don't want to ramble, but I find it extremely difficult to understand why STRS employees are treated better than retirees. It seems to me people go out of their way to rationalize why they (employees) are so deserving yet when retirees only want to be treated fairly, well that's a different story. Do STRS board members really think it's fair to give retirees the 3% cola based on the year they retired?
I retired in 1998 and my 3% is based on 1998. Now is that really fair? Yet, employees can be given bonuses for basically doing a job they are being paid to do. Now is that really fair? I guess the reason retirees really like Dennis and John is due to the fact that both really care for retirees. They understand retirees have dedicated their lives to education. They understand i.e. the sky rocketing cost of buying gasoline which creates a domino effect that increases other costs to live. They understand a person who receives an inflated salary does not care if gas is $1.50 or $5.00 a gallon, because they can afford it.
You weren't on the board when this happened, but when the 13th check was discontinued, an elderly lady was interviewed on television. She was asked what she would do without her 13th check. Her reply was,"I bought my orthopedic shoes with it, but now that it's gone, I'll have to do without them." That's sad, which is probably one of thousands of sad stories.
Jeff, I want to apologize for being so wordy, but now maybe you'll have a better understanding of how and why I feel the way I do. It's not just for me. I want all retirees to be able to have an enjoyable retirement, and not have to worry. I have confidence in you that you'll view your priorities in a different light and become one of three.
Do you really think Damon places retirees as his top priority? What about his promise to make the child care center cost neutral by (I'm not sure, but I think it was about two years ago). Do you really think he and some of the STRS board members really CARE? Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Duke Snider
---
From Jeff Chapman, May 5, 2007
Subject: RE: Trio
Thanks very much, Duke, for your good thoughts. I agree with all you said, but the trick is deciding which choices are (or will be) best for our retirees. Just as an example, the Medicare subsidy decision was not popular because it adversely affected our oldest retirees. But I was convinced that keeping the subsidy at the 2006 level would mean further erosion of our Health Care Stabilization Fund and lead to benefit cuts and/or premium increases for all retirees. Tough call... I want to thank you in particular for your comment regarding retirees in rural, economically challenged areas of Ohio. Many of the retirees I interact with the most - those here in Northeast Ohio - are often better off financially than their peers in other parts of the state due, in part, to higher salaries during thier careers. I take to heart your point and hope to always remember. I respect your opinion and hope you'll continue to "weigh-in" often.
Thanks again,
Jeff Chapman
---
From Duke Snider, May 4, 2007
Subject: Fw: Trio
Mr. Chapman, I'm not sure I received a reply from you due to a computer problem, however, I did want to say I had a typo (ignore). Oh heck, it wasn't the computer's fault, it was mine. I should have checked my email closer before I sent it
.
Duke
From Duke Snider, May 2, 2007
Subject: Trio
Mr. Chapman, It's a shame STRS doesn't have retirees at the top of their list. It seems as if there is no limit on spending for anything wanted in Columbus, ie building, art, raises, travel, parties and on and on, BUT when it comes to retirees it seems as if things such as health insurance, 3% simple and not compound based on year retired, vision, dental, etc. doesn't rate as top priorities when making decisions affecting retirees. It's difficult to understand the rationalizations, but I guess it's due to the fact retirees are basically rated as second class and STRS staff and employees are the top priority. Why not try to reduce health care premiums and have the best health care coverage there is? With the huge number of retirees STRS should be in the driver's seat when dealing with health care companies. Giving huge bonuses, raises is no problem for STRS, except when considering retirees cola or having them pay more for medicare and health insurance. Why rubber stamp decisions for employees, and ignore retirees needs? I'm not blaming you and I appreciate you voting with Dennis. Dennis and John are two whom retirees admire depend on, because they care about retirees. I believe we can finally add you to the list, making a trio of those who really care about retirees. Just one suggestion, talk with retirees who live in some poor sections of Ohio and find out how they live. You'll heard some sad, sad stories which will bring tears to your eyes.
Duke
Larry KehresMount Union Collge
Division III
web page counter
Vermont Teddy Bear Company